Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis Help

Default Mastitis Help

I am a first time Mom to a 6 week old little girl. I have developed mastits in my right breast. I am on Keflex (an antibotic) and am feeling better but I have a question. My husband is a vet and his experience in diary cows (yes, I feel like a diary cow sometimes ) is that the milk is not useable. Should I "pump and dump" on the infected side? I think I will produce enough from the left side to keep my daughter satisfied but don't want to waste "liquid gold" if I don't have to. (My ped's suggestion was to continue to nurse both sides but we just wanted another opinion.)

Default Re: Mastitis Help

No, do not pump and dump! Your milk is just fine for your baby to eat. In fact, you should nurse from the infected side as frequently as possible. Baby is going to be really effective in helping you get over this

You aren't a dairy cow

Glad that you are feeling better! Don't dump! Make sure to keep your infected side flowing! Even if you have to pump.

I feel like a dairy cow sometimes too!

I have been on Keflex for two mastitis infections and I always nursed frequently from that breast, what a waste to dump bm.

About feeling like milking a cow, when I hand express dh says are you milking a cow. He's so mean.

Hi, it's me again. Thanks for the notes this week. I am not dumping any BM (I agree - what a waste!) and we are feeling much better. I do have another question....I went back to the DR today and while the infection seems to be clearing up, I still have a hard "knot" which he diagnosed as a plugged milk duct. He said that is probably what caused the infection and advised me to stay on the Keflex an additional 3 days (for a total of 10) and wants to recheck next week. So my question is: how can I clear this plugged milk duct? It's not painful to nurse (thank goodness) but it's VERY painful to hand express and massage the area in question. I'm doing warm compresses, hot showers, etc but was wondering if there was something else I could be doing to help things along. Nursing positions? Herbs? OTC products?

Thanks for reading this and I really appreciate any responses.

Have you tried positioning baby so that baby's chin points towards the plugged duct? Warm compresses and gentle massage during nursing can help. I realize it's painful so just massage as much as you can to help work out the plug. Have you inspected your nipple itself to be sure there isn't a plugged duct in the nipple itself? Of course, if you had a plug in the nipple itself it would probably be quite painful to nurse....

BTW, I did some research on why the milk from cow's with mastitis must be dumped -- apparently there's a Pasturized Milk Ordinance that stipulates that abnormal milk (that would include mastitic milk) is not fit for human consumption and must be kept out of the production line

I hope this helps a bit. Keep us updated, okay?

I had frequent plugs, and what really helped me was to lie the baby on the floor and nurse by hanging over him.