Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to breastfeed help!

Unhappy new to breastfeed help!

this is my 3rd baby and trying my best to breastfeed but my milk supply is super low i dont what i can do to produce more milk?... ive tried pumping alot and making my baby suck but he gets frustrated that milk doesnt come out alot.... please help!!! i really
    want to keep breastfeeding

Default Re: new to breastfeed help!

Hi there mama, and welcome!

Can you answer a few questions to help us answer yours? How old is your baby? What has his weight been like so far? How many wet/poopy diapers? What leads you to believe that your supply is low?

You definitely came to the right place to get help!

hello im sorry im new to this forum and dont know what to write..... well my son is 4months old he is 14lbs and he has 5wet diapers and 1 poopy diapers...... and wat makes me think im not producing alot is wen he latches on he drinks a lil bit n then gets frustrated because he is still hungry and then wen i pump i use to pump up to 8 oz n now i only pump 1.5 oz and thats a major change idk wat else i can do i really wanna keep breastfeeding

What was his lowest weight? around 3.5-4 months was when my baby started getting pretty distracted, and from what I understand, it's fairly common and normal! It might be that you need to switch positions, nurse in a dark room if possible, that sort of thing.

What kind of pump are you using? When were you pumping that you were getting 8oz (ie first thing in the morning, before feeding baby, etc) and how long were you pumping for? 8 oz is a lot to get in one session, and almost sounds like oversupply. It could be that your body is just regulating your supply. Or it could be that your pump parts are wearing out, if you've done a lot of pumping. If you're using an electric pump, sometimes the white membranes need to be replaced.

You can do this, mama!

he weighed 13lbs at 3.5 months and im using a manual one that WIC gave me and i would get 8oz from both breast so its 4oz from each and i would pump for 20-30 mins n wen i do that now i only get 1.5oz and i would pump when its feeding time and in the morning especially now im trying to pump alot so my breast can supply more but i dont get alot of milk and i give him what i can... plus the doctor wants me to give him formula but i really dont want to... is there anything i can do to make more??

So he gained a pound in the last two weeks? That sounds pretty good to me!

Your baby is likely to be a lot more efficient than the pump is, and a great way to increase your supply is to nurse, nurse, nurse! So if you're able to nurse rather than use the pump, that would be my suggestion. I'm not sure that I understand the doctor wanting him to have formula. Did he give you a reason for suggesting that?

There are some supplements that you can take to increase your milk, like Fenugreek, but I honestly don't know enough about them to suggest dosage. You can also eat oatmeal.

I agree with above: nurse as much as possible! Also, is it possible for you to get an electric pump? I first tried using a manual pump and found it just didn't work--would get maybe 1 oz after 25 minutes. With an electric pump, I can get about 3 oz from one and 1.5 to 2 oz from the other (it's normal for output to differ slightly). I use the Medela pump WIC gives out, but there are other more affordable brands too if you have to purchase it.

How often do you nurse? Do you nurse overnight? If your baby is sleeping through the night now, you might want to wake mid-night and pump, since this is when you produce the most hormones that tell your body to make more milk.

the doctor told me to give formula so the baby gets full because maybe thats why he cries because he is hungry.. so im so confused about that...... i try to nurse every 3 to 4hrs and at night i dont because my baby sleeps all night

Ok, mama...I think it sounds like you could be nursing more often. I would say every 2-3 hours you should offer. Breastmilk is really different from formula -it digests fairly quickly compared to formula. That's why your breastfed baby probably needs to eat more often than your formula fed babies did. And I agree with the PP, if you're concerned about supply, not nursing at all at night isn't a great idea. Either pump, or "dream feed" your baby without waking him up.

ok thank u so much i will try to do all that n hopefully it gets better thank u