Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old only transfering 2 oz at breast

Default Re: 4 month old only transfering 2 oz at breast

I also agree about the home scale. I got mine for about $35, and when compared to my IBCLCs it's pretty accurate, though not as exact. Hers, which runs about 1k, measures to the .05oz, and mine only goes to the .5oz.

Having said that, my son also had an ULT and PTT that wasn't found until 4.5mo of age, corrected less than two weeks ago. The other ladies are def amazing and provide great advice, but I more than understand your inability to nurse more frequently. Up until a week or so ago, I was nursing for 4-5hours after work alone, not including cosleeping and pumping. Nursing more was no longer an option. And he also was barely gaining weight. If the tie revision hadn't worked, I was considering choosing a few nursing sessions I would keep in the day, but otherwise resort to EPing. Would you consider something like that? I know it isnt ideal, but you would still get your closeness. thst also makes you a slave to the pump, though. Sorry you're going through this, mama. I really understand the frustration. Good luck In making your decision.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; February 3rd, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrssqueegy View Post
    It is so hard to learn to trust our nursing relationship again, especially when I have worked so hard to get here. Sometimes I can't even believe that we are still going!

On kellymom, they talk about weaning formula supplements 1 oz per day, but mention that BM supplements can be weaned more quickly. Do you have a suggestion on how quickly we can wean? I don't want to go too fast, but I would like to get back to EBF as soon as possible. I will be asking my LC as well.
    I feel like 3 pumping sessions could be done 2-3weeks. You aren't working on production. You only have to work on your child queing your body more frequently. It's not too late. You can still drop a session TODAY! You did one feed supplement free.... How long until he next asked to eat? Another route you could go is drop one oz from all rest of feeds today. That would equal one pumping session at least right? And see if he asks to eat MORE often if he only eating 4oz at each session. I feel confident saying that because again, MATH. If he only had 24oz in a 24hour period it's enough. And he's be getting more than that because he got at least 2 from the 1st feed you did with no supplements.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, mommal, we have a scale coming this week. I think it will be confidence boosting, as long as I don't get too obsessed with the numbers as Meg mentioned.

After our morning feed, he ate again 2 hours later. I've been trying to nurse him as much as possible today. He seems to be quite receptive today which is nice. I am also having a ton of letdowns. My body must know that we mean business!

Well, I cannot thank you guys enough. Your advice has literally saved our nursing relationship.

Once we stopped offering as much supplement, he became so much better at the breast. He is now nursing 20-40 minutes and coming off satisfied. He has been eating 9-11 times a day and we have only been giving him a bit of supplement in the evening when he seems to get overtired and fusses while nursing. My guess is that we will be off all supplement in the next couple of days. I have decreased my pumping and have a ton of milk in the fridge. I'll be able to make a freezer stash!

His diapers have been great and we will take him for his weight tomorrow at our weekly BF group.

Whew! Crisis averted.

Way too lazy for formula

How awesome!!! Well done, mama. You got great advice- particularly from Djs.mom (mad props, hon!)- but you're the one who did the hard work of nursing and trusting yourself!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So I'm trying not to panic, but according to the scale at our BF group, he lost 4 oz this week. The scale has been off before, but it's hard not to worry. My scale came today so we will be able to weigh him at home.

Just when I thought we were on the right track. He has been doing a ton more activity this week because he has a bit of a flat head so we've been doing tons of jumper and exersaucer time. I hope that that has contributed.

ETA: Spelling
    Last edited by @llli*mrssqueegy; February 6th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Don't Panic. Your baby has been overfed for a WHILE. He is not anywhere near is natural growth curve at this point. AND right when they get moving their weight gain slows WAY DOWN. How much does your child weigh?

Way too lazy for formula

He weighed 8 lbs 14 at birth, went down to 8 lbs even.

Last week at his 4 month appointment he was 13 lbs 4 oz, on the pedi scale, 13 lbs 2 on the BF group scale. He was 12 lbs 14 on the BF scale this week.

So we got the scale on Wednesday and have been doing pre/post weights for a couple days. First feed of the day he gets 4-6 oz (probably because I'm engorged). After that, he is usually getting 2 oz with a regular feed, 3 oz with a really good feed and 1 oz with a bad feed. I don't think that is quite enough for him to be without supplement completely, but I'm not sure what we should be doing. Of course, our IBCLC is on holidays this week. We have been topping him up so he gets 3 oz per feed. Sometimes he still seems hungry after 3 oz but I've been trying to just nurse him sooner for the next feed.

I'm really at a loss of what I should be doing.