Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 4 month old only transfering 2 oz at breast

Default Re: 4 month old only transfering 2 oz at breast

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrssqueegy View Post
    So we got the scale on Wednesday and have been doing pre/post weights for a couple days. First feed of the day he gets 4-6 oz (probably because I'm engorged). After that, he is usually getting 2 oz with a regular feed, 3 oz with a really good feed and 1 oz with a bad feed. I don't think that is quite enough for him to be without supplement completely, but I'm not sure what we should be doing. Of course, our IBCLC is on holidays this week. We have been topping him up so he gets 3 oz per feed. Sometimes he still seems hungry after 3 oz but I've been trying to just nurse him sooner for the next feed.

I'm really at a loss of what I should be doing.
    Don't forget that you should be looking at total in over the course of the day, or several days. You don't eat exactly the same amount at every meal, do you? If baby is getting more than 24 oz of breast milk in over 24 hours on average, you are doing great! Feeding 10x a day means that you only need a little over 2 ozs a feed. Count your wet and dirties and trust yourself and your body!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blue2000 View Post
    Don't forget that you should be looking at total in over the course of the day, or several days. You don't eat exactly the same amount at every meal, do you? If baby is getting more than 24 oz of breast milk in over 24 hours on average, you are doing great! Feeding 10x a day means that you only need a little over 2 ozs a feed. Count your wet and dirties and trust yourself and your body!
    This.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your replies.

The issue is that he is not averaging 24 oz a day. Yesterday he only took in around 20 oz on his own and we supplemented 5 oz. Maybe this is the best that we can do. I'd love to get back to EBF but I don't know how to get off these supplements other than waking him up in the night to eat. He usually sleeps from 11pm to 7:30am. I guess I just have to keep trying to feed him more often.

Have you tried dreamfeeding? My daughter feeds really well while asleep. You might try scooping baby up and bringing him into nursing position - he may latch right on and nurse without you needing to wake him. That's a long stretch at night - you could easily get a few ounces in that way. Just an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrssqueegy View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

The issue is that he is not averaging 24 oz a day. Yesterday he only took in around 20 oz on his own and we supplemented 5 oz. Maybe this is the best that we can do. I'd love to get back to EBF but I don't know how to get off these supplements other than waking him up in the night to eat. He usually sleeps from 11pm to 7:30am. I guess I just have to keep trying to feed him more often.
    Remember I said I thought you'd be able to get rid of all the supplements but ONE? And that I thought you'd still have to get up and pump that one time because you should not really ever go 8hours without feeding a 4month old? Yeah. That. If he only ate 20 oz yesterday you were right to supplement 5 oz. Did you do that all together at one feed or did you do one oz to 5 feeds? And how many times total did he eat yesterday?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, I remember you saying that.

We gave him the supplement at most of the feeds when he took less than 3 oz. So it was 4 feeds, with 1-2 oz. One feed he only transferred 1 oz.

He ate only 8 times yesterday, which I know should be more. We're trying our best to feed as often as we can, but I know we can do better.

OK. So how often did you pump yesterday?

Way too lazy for formula

I pumped 3 times yesterday. After his morning feed, once in the afternoon and before going to bed.

??? You pumped AFTER he got 6oz off you?

Way too lazy for formula

Yup, 4.5 oz. It's an easy time for me to get his supplement oz.

It seems like he is only able to get a large amount of oz out of me when I'm engorged. Too bad I can't be engorged all the time. Ha.

This morning he ate 4.5 oz and I pumped 6 oz.