Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to breastfeed help!

Default Re: new to breastfeed help!

Please be sure to check in and let us know how it's going, or if you have any more questions!

I agree that nursing every 3-4 hours during the day is not enough. My LO nurses about every 2 hrs (that's about 2 hrs from when he finishes nursing or drinking a bottle of breastmilk). I also would suggest offering every 2 hours, 3 hours max. Sometimes my LO gets fussy after 1.5 hrs, so I offer and he nurses away!

For the night: I know you'd like to get as much sleep as possible. We all would. But the fact is that if you are having supply problems and baby hunger/weight gain problems, you definitely need to either nurse or pump at least once during the night--I'd plan for about 4 or 5 hrs after putting him to sleep. If you are going to be waking, you might as well (gently) pick up baby and nurse him so that the benefit is double for the effort: you are going to be telling the breasts to make more milk AND baby will be getting more nutrition. Also, make sure to fill his tummy right before bedtime and as soon as he wakes in the morning. His sleeping through the night, at this point, may be temporary; once he starts teething he will wake more during the night, and the best way to calm a teething baby is nursing! So, working on night nursing now will prepare you for later.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gpamatz3 View Post
    the doctor told me to give formula so the baby gets full because maybe thats why he cries because he is hungry.. so im so confused about that...... i try to nurse every 3 to 4hrs and at night i dont because my baby sleeps all night
    supplemental feedings are only warranted if baby is not gaining as baby should and cannot gain even if baby nurses with good frequency, which would be a minimum of 8 times a 24 hour day at this age and more frequently is normal, fine and healthy.

Formula has medical consequences and should not be given just because baby is crying or wants to nurse again. Just nurse again, or calm the baby another way if baby is done nursing. Not all crying is related to hunger.

The american academy of pediatrics statement on infant feeding says exclusive breastfeeding is healthiest. That means, no unnecessary formula or anything else. Doctors unfortunately do not always know much about breastfeeding or follow the aap guidelines.

don't worry about how much you pump. Your previous pump output was way above normal. Your production is fine if your baby is gaining fine via breastfeeding. It's that simple.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 2nd, 2013 at 08:20 PM.