Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastmilk sippy cup?

Default breastmilk sippy cup?

9 mos old juniper finally figured out how to take a sippy cup! yay! i put a little water in it, and she's been taking tiny gulps throughout the day, but doesn't operate it fully on her own, she wants me to help her (she IS a baby after all )
    anywho, i think it's stupid to give her water. i don't want to fill her up on water when i have 3 months worth of pumped milk in the freezer. should i put breast milk in her sippy so she learns to use it, AND gets some nutrition? would it get yucky after an hour or so? would she try to drop out of a nursing session if she is getting this extra milk? i am not interested in the sippy replacing nursing at this point. maybe at 12 mos, that could be a way to wean out (cuz i don't really know how that works, either)...
    has anyone ever tried this, or is it a stupid idea? i have ALL THAT MILK, and she won't take a bottle. aside from yogurt, i think sippy is the way to use it up. (?)
    thanks in advance, moms!

Default Re: breastmilk sippy cup?

Yes, by all means put the pumped milk in the sippy! Pumped milk is only good for 6 months in a regular freezer (12 months in a stand-alone deep freeze), so unless you pumped that milk really recently you're unlikely to be able to use it to wean at 12 months- which you may discover you're not interested in doing, anyway! Make sure you do a taste test before offering the milk- stored milk sometimes develops a yucky flavor which could explain why your LO won't take a bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, no harm in putting milk in her cup. She isn't likely to drink much of it while she's learning to use the cup so I don't think it will interfere with her nursing. That's great that she's starting to get the hang of it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yes, by all means put the pumped milk in the sippy! Pumped milk is only good for 6 months in a regular freezer (12 months in a stand-alone deep freeze), so unless you pumped that milk really recently you're unlikely to be able to use it to wean at 12 months- which you may discover you're not interested in doing, anyway! Make sure you do a taste test before offering the milk- stored milk sometimes develops a yucky flavor which could explain why your LO won't take a bottle.
    the milk has been in a stand alone deep freezer i did taste the milk today when i was making a puree with it, and it tasted normal to me. do you think she will drop a nursing session if i give her the sippy? i don't want her to, i would like for it to be an additional/supplemental thing.