Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding help please

Default Re: Breastfeeding help please

Also, given how much you can pump, IF you were to need to supplement, it sounds like you could do it with your own milk, rather than using formula.

once she got into the day/night difference, she became a very sleepy baby. I usually have to wake her at 10am and 4 pm to feed her. she is usually awake pretty much the entire time from 10 until 1 with maybe a half-hour catnap.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    Also, given how much you can pump, IF you were to need to supplement, it sounds like you could do it with your own milk, rather than using formula.
    But she seems full after I nurse or she eats breastmilk from a bottle. so how would I supplement with my own milk???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    To be honest, it sounds like your pediatrician doesn't know much about breastfeeding. There is no evidence that the fat content of milk is relevant to how well a baby gains weight. That is great that you're going to a LLL meeting, hopefully they can give you some good advice/support for the pain and weaning off the shield.

So, overall, it looks like you are having some difficulties with breastfeeding, but your baby has good diaper output. Her weight is on the low end of the scale, but given the initial drop, probably not out of the realm of reason. Do you have reason to believe she was not gaining weight recently, or is it just based on her overall being low in the percentiles?
    On January 11th she was 8lb6oz. On January 31 she was 8lb12oz. So in 20 days (almost 3 weeks) she only gained a half pound.

here's a link for weaning off the shield
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

And one for sleepy babies
    http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/new...sleepy-babies/

I just saw again that she's sleeping in two four hour stretches at night. Since she is gaining slowly, I'd suggest waking her once to dreamfeed.

I was looking at the tongue-tie link and It looks to me like she has both the tongue tie and the upper lip thing. What should I do???

Contact your doctor (or perhaps your lll leader as she might know the bf friendly ones in your area) and ask for a pediatric dentist or ENT to get a professional opinion.

Getting the ties done with laser is the optimal choice. You may have to do a little digging to find one in your area. Don't be surprised if your doctor isn't all that supportive - it's an issue that doesn't seem to be as well recognized as it used to (you can, of course, still talk to you pedi about it, just a forewarning). I agree that a dentist is a good place to start too.

Are you able to flange her upper lip? If you're able to flange it but it doesn't stay that way during feeding, you can use your thumb to insert your nipple and then use it to flip up her upper lip as you remove your thumb. Here's a site that has pictures of how to do it http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot....-frenulum.html

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. If the tongue tie and lip thing are the problem, I would be happy just knowing that there is a way to fix it. I contact my pedi today as well as the lll leader and sent an email to one of the dentists offices in the area that does those procedures via laser.