Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding help please

Default Breastfeeding help please

My little one is 7 and a half weeks old. she was 7lb15oz at birth. Now she is 8lb12oz. I brought her into the doc yesterday because it did not seem like she was gaining weight. Doc wants us to start supplementing with 2 4 oz bottles of formula 2 times a day. What kind of formula should I use? Anybody been there done that before?

Default Re: Breastfeeding help please

Welcome to the forum!

I think we need a little more info! What was your baby's lowest weight? How often is baby breastfeeding/how many times per 24 hour period? How many wet/poopy diapers per 24 hour period? How has breastfeeding been so far for you?

I've only been around for a few months, but from what I've seen, the thing to do before supplementing with formula is to nurse more, and figure out why it hasn't been working for you. Supplementing with formula can be a slippery slope, especially if your goal is to continue breastfeeding. We'd hate to see you start down that road if you're able to make exclusive breastfeeding work!

Her lowest weight at the doctors was 7lb2oz. She may have gone lower, she was born on December 11th and that was on December 20th. She usually eats at 7, 10, 1, 4, 6, 8:30, 12, and 4. She eats a pumped 3-4 oz bottle and 12. She feed off one breast at 4 and 8 and 2 the rest of the time. I pump 6-8 oz at around 9:30. I usually have to wake her to feed her at 5pm, but I don't want her to go too long. Wet diapers are 7 with an extremely soaked one in the morning. She usually only poops every 3 to 4 days.
    She is my second child. I exclusively breastfed my first with no issues. For her, I had cracked and bleeding nipples in the hospital along with a ton of pain so they gave me a nipple shield. I have been trying to get her off of it with limited success on one breast and no success on the other. I also start back to work next week. I work at the daycare that she is going to so I will be able to nurse at 10 and 1 with a bottle at 4 and pumping session at 5.

my mistake, she feed of one breast at 4am and 7am and I pump at around 8:30am. I mistyped.

So it sounds like your baby lost quite a bit of weight right at the start. Did you have IV fluids during labour? Maybe her birth weight was artificially inflated...

It sounds like her output is pretty good, and if I'm counting right, she's nursing or getting a bottle at least 8 times, right? And it sounds like your pump output is good. Might be a milk transfer thing. Has your LO been checked for tongue/lip ties? They can cause pain in mom and impact baby's ability to effectively transfer milk. www.kiddsteeth.com is a great site for more info.

I'm afraid that's the limit of my knowledge, but there's lots of other moms on here that might have more to offer!

ETA: in my experience, a lot of times posterior tongue ties are missed (they're trickier to spot), but there's a good video on the website I mentioned about how to check for one.
    Last edited by @llli*carm3; February 1st, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

As someone who has supplemented with formula, I will say it IS a slippery slope. There are times when it is a good idea, but if I were in your shoes I would probably not be convinced we are there yet. Did your doctor discuss with you how breastfeeding is going and suggest that you get some help from a lactation consultant or pump to increase supply so you can supplement with your own milk rather than formula? From the amount that you are describing, I would say that your first course of action would be to offer to nurse a LOT more frequently than you are doing if you can. Are you still experiencing pain?

I am still experiencing some pain when I nurse, even with the shield. They are still cracked, but not bleeding anymore. I did contact my local LLL person and she thinks I might have an allergy to lanolin which is making this worse, and suggested the motherslove cream which I am picking up this weekend. I am also going to a leche meeting on thursday and bringing my little one with. Her pediatrician asked me a ton of questions and was thinking that I might not have enough fat content in my milk. as far as my supply, every time I pump in place of a feeding or the morning, I get 7-10oz. If I pump right after a full feeding I usually get 4-6oz, so I dont think an increase in supply will help.

I agree the output looks good, and that you can pump that much suggests that you have a decent supply (pumping isn't a good indicator of supply, but 6-8 oz is a LOT for a single pumping session). The weight gain overall does appear on the low end for a 7 week old, but not insanely so - I agree that an inflated initial weight might be contributing to that picture.

I would first see a IBCLC to help wean off the nipple shield as there is often a milk transfer issue with those. You can gave the lc do a couple before and after weight checks to see what she's taking in. do more than one as it can vary between sessions. also eight nursings a day is on the low end for a newborn. Shoot for 10-12 a day. Is this a schedule you've put her on or is she a sleepy baby? If she's sleepy there are a ton of things you can try to make her more alert.

To be honest, it sounds like your pediatrician doesn't know much about breastfeeding. There is no evidence that the fat content of milk is relevant to how well a baby gains weight. That is great that you're going to a LLL meeting, hopefully they can give you some good advice/support for the pain and weaning off the shield.

So, overall, it looks like you are having some difficulties with breastfeeding, but your baby has good diaper output. Her weight is on the low end of the scale, but given the initial drop, probably not out of the realm of reason. Do you have reason to believe she was not gaining weight recently, or is it just based on her overall being low in the percentiles?