Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning advice...please help!!!

Default Weaning advice...please help!!!

So i have made the decision to wean from the breast. My DD takes a bottle fine. I need the quickest way for my milk to dry up without getting mastasis. I was thinking of stopping cold turkey and just expressing a little to keep them soft when they get full. Any advice would be lovely at this point but i am looking for the fastest way so we can be done with this. My DD is happy with a bottle and i dont see any problems with the transition to a bottle fulltime.

Default Re: Weaning advice...please help!!!

There is no QUICK way to wean that guarantees that you will avoid engorgement, plugged ducts, or mastitis. The faster you wean, the more likely it is that you will end up with one of those 3 problems. The best way to wean is SLOWLY. Drop a single feeding- ideally the one your baby is least attached to- and replace it with a bottle. Wait a few days, allowing your body a chance to reduce supply, then drop a second feeding, wait a few days, etc.

So absolutely do not wean cold turkey unless you have no other option! If you want to wean your LO from the breast immediately, you will probably need to do a lot more pumping/expressing than you are currently thinking, while you reduce your supply.

Mama, I recall that you don't have much family support when it comes to nursing, and that you've gotten a lot of family negativity about your milk not "holding" your baby long enough... I don't mean to second guess your decision, but are you 100% sure you're weaning because YOU want to, and not because some pushy granny is making you feel like you should?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The decision was because i am starting a new job and do not want the hassle of pumping and the pain i still have every feed. She tugs and pulls off so much that even the once good pain free nipple is sore. My DD is healthy happy and takes the bottle well so i have decided to wean. I have made it through a rough over four months and i am very proud of myself.

So is cutting out almost all feedings and just pumping a little to keep them soft a bad idea. I feed her first thing in morning because i am so full and her last feeding of the night. During the day i plan on bottle feeding her mostly. I know slowly is the way to go but the pain is just too much and pumping is annoying.

You should be proud! 4 months is a terrific achievement.

I totally understand why you're feeling frustrated and eager to wean from both nursing and pumping. But I really think you want to try the route where you drop one feeding at a time, rather than the one where you drop almost all the feedings and just pump to the point where you're soft- if only because the former is tried and true, and the latter seems like the sort of thing that would be easy to mess up by either underpumping or overpumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"