Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is "Pediasure" (Diet Supplementation) a healthy choice?

Default Is "Pediasure" (Diet Supplementation) a healthy choice?

My Daugther's doctor thought prescript Pediasure because my daughter is not gaining few pounds since she starts to eat solid food. She is a seven month old baby and eat 70 ml (3 spoons) of food in each meal. I guess it is a good quantity for a baby of this old, but the doctor said it wasn't and prescript this Pediasure, a diet supplementation. But i'm afraid because many doctors doesn't agree that a baby need diet supplementation. What can I do? Go to other doctor? Have your babies ever eaten it?

Default Re: Is "Pediasure" (Diet Supplementation) a healthy choice?

Hi veronicatosta, welcome here. I think to comment at all some more information will help
    Do you breast feed her? What do you feed her? you wrote 70ml of food each meal: what food is this?
    How much does she weigh? Has she lost much weight? Does she have a chronic condition or illness? I ask because I only ever heard of Pedisure or similar diet supplements in the context of very ill children.
    Last edited by @llli*mammi; February 1st, 2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: mistake

The advice I have heard most if a baby is not gaining at that age is to back off from solids (and breastfeed more), not give more. I would definitely get a second opinion.

The PPs asked good questions and gave good advice.

If you can post a complete weight history (birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each checkup) we'll be able to give you better opinions on whether or not it makes sense to supplement. I'm a little confused why your doctor would suggest Pediasure rather than formula for supplementing a 7 month old baby!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi, I'm sorry for the delay to answer the questions you have asked me, and thank you for the attention.

My daughter is a 8 month old by now, and i still breastfeed her. She was a preterm baby, born with 34 weeks of gestation, and 4.3 pounds of weight. Because of her low weight she have stayed in I.C.U. for 15 days in order to gain weight. But since she was born until now, she is really healthy (she only have had one cold last week). When she left I.C.U. she had 4.6 pounds. I have breastfeed her, exclusively, until she was 5 months, and for this period she had a marvelous gain of weight (an average gain of 1.1 pounds per month). When she was 5 months the doctor said I should give her an orange juice in the mornings and mashed fruit in the afternoons, in order to introduce her to solid foods (and breastfeeding in all other meals). But she started to breastfeed only for few minutes, and in the next check up we realized she gained few pounds. The doctor decided to back off the solids and breastfeed more. Her gaining of weight got better, and the doctor decided to reintroduce mashed fruit with cerelac and jelly. One week later he decided to introduce mashed vegetables in the lunch. She accepted the news fairly good, but gained only 0.7 pounds. Then doctor decided to exchange the cerelac in her afternoon meal for Pediasure when she was 7 month old.
    What do you think?

I find it strange that your pediatrician is recommending things like juice and jelly, which contain a lot of sugar relative to their nutritional value. Also, it sounds like your baby is doing great with breastmilk so I don't get why you need supplementation? It's also normal for weight gain to slow down as baby gets older. Solids before the age of one are for baby to learn about new tastes and textures, and to gain the motor skills needed to feed herself. Breastmilk provides the bulk of baby's nutrition until age one. Then, solids GRADUALLY start to take over, until your toddler is eating three meals a day plus snacks - but this transition can take many months. If there are issues of weight gain slowing down before age one, then the correct response is to back down on solids and increase the breastmilk - as you have seen for yourself, breastmilk is the most nutritionally dense form of food baby can eat. Sounds like you are doing a great job, mama. Whether to stay with this pediatrician - well, it's hard to second-guess him based on the limited information we have, but it does sound like some of his practices are a bit dated.

I'm guessing you don't live in the US, because the advice you got would be very unusual here. As Bfwmomof3 said, it's generally recommended that parents avoid solids that contain a lot of sugar, not to mention the that solids aren't supposed to be introduced until 6 months.

Since your baby was preterm, does she get an iron supplement? And how much does she weigh right now, at 8 months?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for providing more information/background. I agree with mommal, the advise seems unusal. I dont live in the US/am not American but still the advice seems unusual to me.

By jelly, do you mean the sweet US dessert or a beef broth?

First of, what I notice it that it seems from your desccription that the doctor makes all the decisions on your child's nutrition. Now, I can understand that you did follow his advise to the letter when she was tiny and preterm, but now she is 8 months - I think it is time that you follow your mother's instinct. What do YOU think she should eat? What do you think of his advice? Is his goal to speed up weaning? Because this is the idea I get when I read your post/his advice. So do you want to wean? If you do not, I would say don't follow his advice and back off from solids, forget pediasure and only introduce the solid food in a playful way, slowly very slowly.

As Bfwmomof3 said in her post, until age one there is really no need to push solids in such a strong way as your doctor seems to do. Breastmilk is nutritionally much more valuable than juice or jelly (even if it is beef broth and not a sweet).

At age 8 months I would put a much greeater emphasis on breast feeding and introducing the other foods only very very slowly and definitely not so much and not as dominating her food intake as the doctor suggested. Is she moving around much? They tend to lose weight when they become mobile (rolling, robbing, etc).

I would say stay away from the Pediasure and breast feed as much as you can. I can really only encourage you to trust your instinct in this. It sounds like your little one is doing fine, and you are doing a very good job. Doctors have their use but there comes a time when you need to take charge yourself of your child's nutritioin.

Doctors are not nutritionists. Period. I'm willing to bet I've had just as much nutrition education (one 3-credit nutrition class, plus personal research) as any medical doctor. If you want real official nutritional advice, go see a certified nutritionist (preferably one who specializes in infants and children).

Orange juice seems like a really strange first-foods beverage. I'd always understood it was best to wait to introduce any citrus until after a year due to its acidic content.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God