Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple already torn by tiny teeth! What to do?

Default Nipple already torn by tiny teeth! What to do?

Hi. My 7 mo tore a gash in my nipple with her bottom teeth about a week ago. She was tugging at the end of nursing and actually broke through the skin so I was bleeding. It hurts but its not infected but it doesn't look like its healing either. I nursed my older daughter for 18 mos and we made it through teething without any significant injuries so I'm not sure what to do? I want to keep nursing so what I can do to help the wound heal or not get any worse? So far I've been putting APNO on it and have been nursing more frequently on the other side. Thanks.

Default Re: Nipple already torn by tiny teeth! What to do?

Ouch! I feel for you! I've been going through exactly the same thing with DS15mo. I had a cut on both nipples and one has fully healed. Here's what I did:

1. Changed position to ensure that the cut received no friction from teeth. That way both breasts still receive full stimulation.
    2. Used a saline wash (just a tsp of table salt dissolved in a cup of warm water) to rinse the wound a few times a day.
    3. Put a few drops of expressed breast milk on the wound after each feeding.
    4. APNO as needed, ~4x/day.
    5. Exposed the wound to air as much as possible.

Hope that helps! I'm still healing my second cut and I know what a challenge nipple injuries are. Good luck mama! I wish you a speedy recovery-- and no repeats of the process!!

Default Re: Nipple already torn by tiny teeth! What to do?

Thanks so much alphawoman for giving me a plan. Hopefully it will get better soon. But I'm relieved to know that it will get better eventually and I don't have to quit nursing in the mean time.