Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: *HELP* milk supply suffering after baby hospitalized

Default *HELP* milk supply suffering after baby hospitalized

Hi, our 10 week old was hospitalized for 4 days with RSV and my milk has dwindled. He couldn't nurse because he was so sick, he had oxygen in his nose and was fed
    formula during those days he wouldn't nurse. I breastfed him as much as possible,
    it seems like each day is better but he does take a few feedings of formula still (he was released 2 days ago) What tips do you have, will my milk return to normal soon
    or diminish??? Also, he was EBF up until now besides a rare bottle here and there
    at night when supply is down. Last night we used only breast through the night and morning, I just have him 4 oz now by bottle. next feeding will most likely be by
    breast for sure..

any advise?
    thanks

Default Re: *HELP* milk supply suffering after baby hospitalized

I'm sorry your baby was sick! That must have been so stressful with such a young baby.

It's link explains how to wean from formula supplements: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/ Basically, what you need to do is to put the baby to the breast as often as possible while gradually decreasing the amount of supplement you are offering. Any additional milk removal you can achieve is beneficial- whether that means expressing a little bit while you're in the shower or pumping when your baby gets a bottle. Ideally, you should pump every time you offer a bottle. I'm honestly shocked that the hospital didn't encourage you to do that while your baby was having trouble nursing- if you'd been filling his bottles with breastmilk rather than formula, your supply wouldn't have suffered and you probably wouldn't be using formula now.

I would start by offering the breast before every bottle, and keeping the amounts in the bottles small. 4 oz is an entire feeding, so I would offer 2-3oz, maximum. And then conclude each bottle session with unrestricted time at the breast. You have some work ahead of you, but if you're willing to put in the time and efforts think you'll soon banish the formula from your life!

Hi mama, so sorry to hear you LO was ill. Yes, your supply will come back. The best thing to do is nurse, nurse, nurse while gradually weaning off the formula. Your body will respond to LO's demand by making more milk.

Thanks for the helpful info. In the hospital the day after he wouldn't nurse, I had no pump, my breasts were engorged, they suggested to hand express to get relief, my husband brought the pump in the morning and I pumped so much milk, I hardly had to use much formula that day. However the next morning and day, I had what seemed to be absolutely no milk, my breasts just couldn't give up any milk to the pump. Each day is better but he is often just starving as he lost some weight. I will do what you both suggest and post again if I have trouble.. thanks I do also realize the baby can siphon milk when the pump can't get out any, but with those oxygen prongs in his nose, he was so frustrated trying to latch on. .. This RSV thing really threw us one! Keep healthy everyone.

Sounds like you are doing great! Keep your son at your breast as much as possible. If you can, stay home with him, in bed and lots of skin to skin. Keep your shirt off so that your baby has full access to breastfeeding as much as possible. The more he nurses, the faster your supply will build again. Supplementing with formula tells your body that it needs to make less milk. If your baby is hungry, he will nurse as much as it takes to get what he needs.

It should only take a few days to get your supply back up. Pumping after each feeding will stimulate your breasts to produce more milk as well.

Good luck!
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*owensmum View Post
    In the hospital the day after he wouldn't nurse, I had no pump, my breasts were engorged, they suggested to hand express to get relief
    Unbelievable!!! They shouldn't have recommended hand expression- they should have immediately set you up with a hospital grade pump. I would write them a very angry letter. Just imagine how many breastfeeding moms might be getting sabotaged by inadequate service on the hospital's part- maybe you could do something to alter that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Often when he tries to nurse his nose is blocked and he gets frustrated trying to get the milk out and he starts to cry The formula comes out so easy.. and I hate it...although it does satisfy him when he is so hungry, I"m going to try to carry him around and lie in bed as much as possible ( I have two other young children) I had just gone through issues with fore/hind imbalance and was just figuring everything out.