Re: Engorgement? Continued pain
Awful, awful, AWFUL advice from the doc. First of all, frequent feedings don't cause soreness. When a baby is latched on properly, you can feed literally nonstop and not get sore. Second, scheduling will only make the baby miserable and hungry, give you stress (you'll be listening to a crying baby for hours on end!), and cause problems with supply.
The PP gave some excellent information about treating thrush, if this is thrush. Some additional thrush symptoms:
- itching, burning sensations, particularly between feedings
- yeast diaper rash in the baby or vaginal yeast infection in mom
- nipples appear more red or pink than normal
- skin appears dry, flaky, or shiny
- multiple small slit-like cracks
Thrush is also more likely if you have had a recent course of antibiotics, including antibiotics for Group B strep during birth.
If this is vasospasm, heat is the best treatment. Keep a heating pad or hot water bottle on hand, and use it whenever the pain strikes.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"