Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: numb foot

Default numb foot

Sort of a strange post however i dont know where else to post this.
    I am wondering if any other ladies have experienced similar problems. I recently gave birth to a healthy baby boy on the 25th, and labor was progressing well but we ran into some complications, to make the story short we eneded up having a c section. Obviously with a c section i was given an epidural.

He was delivered just fine, healthy fat 9 pound baby (BFing like a champ too!!)

Heres the issue.
    The epidural wore off within a few hours... Except my left foot.
    I raised this concern and was stupidly told by the doc that i will wear off in time
    It is now jan 31.... My left foot is STILL numb. I have to limp around which really causes my incision site some pain because of the weird gait i have while limping around with a foot that is about as useless as a cement block. It lso.is significantly more swollen than the other foot.
    I was wondering if any of you have had this similar issue and if so what happened??
    Thank you in advance and sorry for any typos. Im on my cell phone because i dont want to hobble to the computer.

Default Re: numb foot

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molufs10 View Post
    Sort of a strange post however i dont know where else to post this.
    I am wondering if any other ladies have experienced similar problems. I recently gave birth to a healthy baby boy on the 25th, and labor was progressing well but we ran into some complications, to make the story short we eneded up having a c section. Obviously with a c section i was given an epidural.

He was delivered just fine, healthy fat 9 pound baby (BFing like a champ too!!)

Heres the issue.
    The epidural wore off within a few hours... Except my left foot.
    I raised this concern and was stupidly told by the doc that i will wear off in time
    It is now jan 31.... My left foot is STILL numb. I have to limp around which really causes my incision site some pain because of the weird gait i have while limping around with a foot that is about as useless as a cement block. It lso.is significantly more swollen than the other foot.
    I was wondering if any of you have had this similar issue and if so what happened??
    Thank you in advance and sorry for any typos. Im on my cell phone because i dont want to hobble to the computer.
    You've likely had a complication from the epidural. You need to find a doctor that will listen to you, take your concerns seriously and evaluate your neuro exam. I'd start with your OB, but if they aren't listening you need to go to someone else. If you are not happy with the response you get, ask family/friends for recommendations.

I dont have enough knowledge of the anatomy etc to comment on what exactly happened but you should be evaluated
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

If it has been 6 days and your foot is swollen, I would talk to your doctor again. That does not seem normal to me.

I know! Nobody else besides me seems to be concerned. its really frustrating. I think ill call tomorrow and schedule am appointment. i want my foot back!

I agree, that isn't normal and needs to be checked. I'm surprised that wasn't more of an issue at the hospital - the nurses wouldn't even let me get out of bed after my section until I had complete sensation back everywhere!

Please keep us posted, I'm quite curious to know how this goes.

I will definitely keep you ladies posted. Going to rough out the weekend and if it hasnt improved at all by monday i shall shedule an appointment. Today swelling has decreased significantly so hopefully... Itll get back to normal soon!!