Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another ? About Increasing Milk Supply

Default Another ? About Increasing Milk Supply

Hi! I'm trying to increase my milk supply, too. We've had a rocky start getting bfing started, and I want to get things up to par before I go back to work in a few months.

Have any of you had success at improving your milk supply when the baby is 3 weeks old (or older)?
    (I guess I just need encouragment that it's possible!) The ped has me on a schedule that alternates bfing with 1-1/2 to 2 oz. formula supplements to help my dd gain weight.

When I pump (irregularly), I never get more than a little puddle at the bottom of my Medela PISA bottle. (Yesterday it took me 3 or 4 pumping sessions of 10 minutes each to get 1 oz.) So here's my plan to boost my milk production--would you all do anything differently?

1) Keep bfing on demand, but at least every 2-1/2 hours during the day.
    2) Before I give the formula, bf unti lthe baby seems satisfied--then "top her off" with the formula.
    3) Take a lactation supplement that contains fenugreek & blessed thistle.
    4) Pump in the morning and after each feeding. But for how long? Would you recommend a different pumping schedule?

If I increase the time that baby's at the breast, and pump more, should I see better results?

Thanks in advance! (Reading these posts has been a lifesaver for us!)

Default Re: Another ? About Increasing Milk Supply

If you can, up the frequency to every 2 hours.

Is the baby gaining weight well? Why does the dtr. think you should be supplimenting? Just curious, because many babies will take 1-2 ounces after a nursing session if even they're getting enough breastmilk.

Thanks! So I'll plan on changing the frequency of bfing to every 2 hours. But sometimes I feel bad waking up the baby to eat...or she'll have a hard time getting to sleep in the first place and be up that entire time until the next feeding!

She was born at 7lbs, 10 oz, then dropped to 6lbs, 10 oz. The hospital put her on the formula supplements, but she stayed at 6-10 for her first week. By her 2 week appt, she was at 7lbs, 1 oz. The doctor didn't feel comfortable dropping the formula all at once--but I hate how it makes her spit up and wheeze afterwards. We're going to be getting a baby scale to monitor her weight, so I'll be able to see how much she's ingested after a bfing session.

Hi,
    I'm going to move this question to Increasing Your Milk so you can get the help you need.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    We're going to be getting a baby scale to monitor her weight, so I'll be able to see how much she's ingested after a bfing session.
    That's a great idea. Another option is to count the number of wet diapers each day. Look for 5-6 wet disposables or 6-8 wet cloth diapers each day.