Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am i doing this right? baby seems to like eating...

Default am i doing this right? baby seems to like eating...

Ok so my son is 7&1/2 months and I started offering solids right before he turned 7 months. I have had supply problems and I supplement with donated bm so he gets about 26 oz of bm a day (the supplement via sns) in about 10-12 feedings (I do a lot of feeding throughout the night to keep my breasts from filling up) . I feed him yogurt that I make at home, sweet potatoes, avacado, apricot puree and sometimes applesauce. I feed him in the morning and give him a late lunch and he likes his food, he reaches for the spoon, when I put the spoon to his mouth he sucks whatever is on it off. I give him avacado to play with and he eats it on his own, my sisters gave him watermelon to suck on at a party and he went to town (they didn't ask, just fed it to him) .
    Anyway, I don't know if I am doing this all right...he never seems too full for nursing, but he definately seems lightweight to me. He is only 19 lbs 10oz today and he hasn't pooped much (probably the yogurt). He is very active now, rolling around and almost crawling, flailing his arms and rocking all the time. I am worried he isn't getting enough food and bm since he hasn't gained any weight in a while. At 6 months he was 19 lbs.
    I guess I am really insecure that my baby isn't as big as all my sisters' babies who were breastfeed and always off the growth charts and those were probably for formula fed charts too. My husband was a big baby too though he was formula fed... I just feel like my son isn't as big as he could have been had I not had supply issues. It sucks.
    should I up his breastmilk supplementation and his solids?
    Last edited by @llli*diymom; January 31st, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: am i doing this right? baby seems to like eating...

reading your post I think he must be fine, it sounds like you are doing really well with feeding him things he likes. My boy loved watermelon too, he made a huge mess from it and loved it.

You say he is very active: so A. he can't be starved, or he would not be so active, and B. this activitiy uses a LOT of calories so he burns them quicker. Like someone said in antoher thread on this issue: in a few years everyone will complement you on your slim child. If he is active and happy it is safe to assume he is fine. I am certainly no expert but I have seen enough to know that malnourished children act differently.
    BTW I don't think yoghurt would cause less poop, i fed mine yoghurt form this age too, and it actually made him poop more often (but not in a bad way).

My daughter is also 7.5 months and she's less than 16 lbs.!

19.5 lbs seems huge (in a good way!) to me...

19 lbs (even I assume) to 19 lbs 10 oz is a perfectly average gain in six weeks according to this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
    It all sounds normal to me but if you're still truly worried it can never hurt to offer to nurse more. It's a better solution that stuffing him full of more solids. That's not to say don't give him any, just that bm is kindly to be the higher calorie option and of course is more nutrient dense.
    Also my son dropped 30 percentile points between 6-9 months. He was just that active. You're not going to win a prize for having a big baby, just a more sore back from lugging around the extra weight, YKWIM?

19 lbs (even I assume) to 19 lbs 10 oz is a perfectly average gain in six weeks according to this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
    It all sounds normal to me but if you're still truly worried it can never hurt to offer to nurse more. It's a better solution that stuffing him full of more solids. That's not to say don't give him any, just that bm is likely to be the higher calorie option and of course is more nutrient dense. Keep doing what you're doing.
    Also my son dropped 30 percentile points between 6-9 months. He was just that active. You're not going to win a prize for having a big baby, just a more sore back from lugging around the extra weight, YKWIM?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    You're not going to win a prize for having a big baby, just a more sore back from lugging around the extra weight, YKWIM?
    That puts it in perspective. My sister who had the biggest babies has a husband who is almost 6'6" and she has a braggy streak...I just need to keep in mind there isn't a prize for having bigger babies. And he is terribly difficult to lug around in his car seat...I just opt to leave it in the car even though its awkward putting him in and taking him out. I'm. Glad he isn't heavir. I just read online how some babies are 23lbs at 6 months and feel like I must be doing something wrong. I'll offer more though I 'll have to give him more in an sns for it to boost his intake. I'll up it another 2 oz a day. Thanks!
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

My LO is 8 mos and he weighed 18 lbs a months ago. I keep thinking he's too skinny as well, but he is happy and has plenty of wets and dirties.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that our baby is not going to be exactly like someone else's baby and thye shouldn't be. They're all different. I know it's hard, but we shoudn't beat ourselves up by comparing them to other babies.

My mom had 9 babies. She said all weighed about 20lbs at 12 mos.