Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pronounced unevenness -- nutritional issue or just cosmetic?

Default Pronounced unevenness -- nutritional issue or just cosmetic?

Hi ladies. I've always had a little bit of lopsidedness in my supply, but lately it is becoming so much more uneven. LO is 8 months with zero interest in solids. It used to be that the ratio of left to right production was in the range of about 1.5:1. Then it got to be about 2:1. For the past two months, it's more like 4:1. So I have been trying to offer the right (lesser producing side) first, and he will take it for a few minutes before pushing it away and switching to the other side and finishing his feedings there. He also night nurses frequently (like 4-6x), so I've started feeding from the right side more often at night to try to stimulate the production there. But despite those efforts, the pronounced unevenness remains.

My question is, are there any nutritional concerns related to the dropping production on one side, given that LO is not taking any solids? Should I keep trying to stimulate the right sight back up, or just let it do its thing? LO's growth is dropping a little on the charts but not more than you would expect for a BF baby (he was at 50th percentile at birth-2 mos, now more like 25th).

Or is this just a cosmetic issue? Not to be vain... but I look really funny -- my right side back to normal B cup size, but the left is like a D/E! Bras fit weird and even fully clothed I look like a bad boob job :-/ Do I just suck it up and have a wonky shaped chest until LO starts to wean, or is there anything I can do to help my clothes fit better?

Default Re: Pronounced unevenness -- nutritional issue or just cosme

I have roughly the same ratio of imbalance. I can't imagine that it's nutritionally problematic. I have been trying for months to get mine evened out by doing what you're doing, always starting on and favoring my underproducing side, to no avail. If you're really motivated, you could pump while he nurses on the left side, right? But it might not even help much and that sounds like a lot of work to me!

Lopsidedness isn't going to impact your LO's nutrition. It's probably simply a function of one breast being an innately better producer and baby preferring that side so much.

Basically, this is a cosmetic issue- but an irritating one! Can you throw in some more pumping sessions on the smaller side? The more milk you remove on that side, the more you'll make- and maybe if that side makes more, your LO will be more interersted in it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I usually leave my pump at work for convenience, rather than lug it to and from, since I'm never separated from baby that long except for when I'm at work. I guess I could bring it home and add some pump sessions on the right side... but gosh, that does sound like a lot of work. I am pretty lazy I guess ... once of the things I like best about BF is the convenience :P Oh well, I guess if LO is getting what he needs, I shouldn't worry about it too much ... and everything should go back to normal when he starts weaning, fingers crossed?

If you have some spare cash- and I know everyone is just rolling in it these days - maybe think about getting a second pump for home use? That way you wouldn't have to lug your pump back and forth and risk forgetting it at home.

I think there's every reason to expect your breasts to even out once your LO weans.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

@Mommal, it's funny because not long after your half-joking suggestion to buy another pump with all that spare cash rolling around (to which I thought, "yeah, wouldn't that be nice") ... I found out that my employer's healthcare plan now covers breastpumps 100 PERCENT within 12 months of birth. !!! This must be a new benefit because I read all the fine print of my plan when I was pregnant so I know it wasn't available before ... but now it is, so I'm going to get one! Only thing is that the particular pump covered by my plan is an Ameda Purely Yours (I have a Medela PISA) but I'm willing to try something new for the low low price of $0, as it will be my second pump anyway. I think having one at home and one at the office will be super convenient and help me get through this little pump slump I'm in now at 9mos (or at the very least try to boost production again in my lesser producing right side).

How awesome! An APY is quite a good pump. Not as good as a PISA, but definitely an excellent choice as a back-up machine! Hope it gets you out of the slump. And even if it doesn't- hey, how awesome is it to have a back-up, just in case yours gets hit by a meteorite or something?