Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 month old not interested in breakfast!

Default 13 month old not interested in breakfast!

Hi ladies!

So my 13 month old daughter is just not interested in breakfast! She has been exclusively breasted and still is. I stay home with her and our routine every day is pretty similar. She eats lunch and dinner really well but I can't get her to eat more than a few bites at breakfast! I have tried MANY foods and she is just not interested. She still nurses about 4-5 times during the day and lately about 4-5 times during the night! I believe she's getting her molars! She has never been interested in breakfast since I introduced solids at 6 months. Is this just a stage that will soon pass? She is on the petite side (25-50% for weight) and I just want to make sure she is getting enough solids since she is past that 1 year mark. Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thank you so much!!
    Proud Mommy to Gianna Faith! 12/30/2011 6lbs 4oz
    Exclusively nursing since 12/30/2011 and going strong!
    The family bed
    Babywearing all the time

Default Re: 13 month old not interested in breakfast!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds like she is eating plenty and certainly nursing enough. Lots of 13 month olds still aren't all that interested in solids at all, so your LO not wanting much breakfast really isn't abnormal or anything to be concerned about. Just keep offering, she'll either eat it or not.

FWIW, my husband has never been a breakfast eater. He just isn't hungry in the morning. My daughter is the same way, she eats a tiny breakfast and that is mainly because I push her to eat something before school. I think if left on her own she would probably just skip it. If she were at home, I'd let her and just give her a snack of fruit or something mid-morning, but at school she doesn't really have that option. ANYHOO (sorry, I'm rambling) my son and I both need to eat first thing when we wake up. I think it's just an individual appetite thing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the PP. What you describe is perfectly normal behavior for such a young baby. Up to 12 months or thereabouts, a baby can be well-nourished by breastmilk alone. After the first birthday, babies start to need some solids, but the transition to a majority solid food diet is often slow. Your baby is already eating a lot more solids than my kids did at that age- at 13 months they might eat a few Cheerios here and there, but that was it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, too. I've found that my LO is still fairly uninterested in breakfast at 2yrs - tummy full of milk from the early morning. Also from what I understand it's natural for our bodies to be going through a detox phase until about 10am, and to prefer lighter foods during that time.

My second was/is like this. When he was a toddler and prechooler we assumed it was the tummy full of milk and did not worry about it. Then when that was no longer possibly the issue, we figured he just did not care for ANY traditional breakfast food, and we will still often serve him dinner leftovers instead. But he often won't eat much of that either! He is just not very hungry in the morning. He seems to get hungry about 2 hours after he has woken up, which means, while he is at school. He does get a snack at Kindergarten but by the time I pick him up from Kindergarten, he is hungry all right.

I figure in first grade he will be one of those kids who eat everything in his lunch box during morning snack and everyone will think we are horrible paretns who don't feed our child breakfast. But since he is very healthy and eats very well and a balanced diet when he wants to, I simply do not worry about it anymore. Life gives you enough real stress.