Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to sleep all night!

Default Ready to sleep all night!

Hey everyone!

I've been soooo busy lately that I haven't been on in about a month!!! I missed you guys

Anyway, DS and I are still goin' strong, despite all my worries leading up to his 1st birthday. In fact, in some ways, he is bfing more than he has in quite a while! The difference is; he is no longer nursing long enough to ever be filling his tummy...it's all for comfort at this point I think. He asks for it especially when he's tired/sad/hurt/etc; he will take a few sucks and then he's off being a busy boy again!!!
    I don't mind any of that, the comfort part is kind of sweet, really. But in light of the fact that he isn't really "eating" anymore (or getting that "happy, drunk 'n' full" feeling) I'd like to lose the middle of the night session and get some shut eye!!! My ped (who is actually pro-bf, despite this advice) said I should just let him CIO until he realizes I'm not going to nurse him at night anymore, then he'll sleep. Well, I'm NOT OK with that!! How can I wean from this one feeding in a more nurturing way?

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to be back

Default Re: Ready to sleep all night!

Hi there!

I have heard some have success with gradually shortening the nighttime feedings. With my DS, we let him cry it out, going in there every once in a while to soothe. However, I know that for many, this isn't an acceptable solution.

I hope that helps!

Lisa

I can't remember who to give credit to for posting this a few days ago, but I saved it for when the time comes. It gives some good advice. It is not a CIO method but does tell you that some tears will be shed and that the baby(over 12 months) isn't going to be happy. Maybe you'll find something you can use in there. Good Luck.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

It depends on what you mean by CIO. I think it might be helpful to have your partner, if you have one, go in and try to comfort your LO at that time of night and stay with him until he calms down (this might be a while at first).
    Dr. Jay Gordon's might weaning plan might give you some ideas.
    Also, my DD sometimes does the "quick snack" thing too, but sometimes when I want to encourage her to BF for a longer session, I'll either go to our nursing chair or wrap the sling around us on the sofa.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks for the info ladies
    Ironically, last night he slept through the night and then some!!! He slept so well that he wasn't awake before I left for my 10+ hr shift at work this am...so I was bursting at the seams by the time I got home!!!
    Anyway, the only thing different was DH put him in bed even though I was there. We've tried that again tonight...I'll let you know if it was a fluke or not!
    Thx again!

FYI, I nightweaned my dd at 2yo (lots of crying), she slept through the night for about a week and is now back to waking regularly at over 2.5 years old. I'm still sticking to no nursing at night, but I just want to let you know that she still wakes.

I reached a point with all three of mine that I needed to sleep at night. Once they were eating solids and nursing more for comfort...
    DH is wonderful about helping to settle them during the night. It's been a huge help to know that they are in loving arms as they go though this change.

Well, I guess it was a fluke...he woke enough the next night to make up for sleeping through the one time!!

So far the only thing I've accomplished is that he isn't nursing really at all during the day anymore (which is not what I was trying to do, necessarily) but still wants his milks at night. In the middle of the night he won't be distracted...he'll scream his little heart out if I don't nurse him and then DH gets upset because he gets woke up (he's a VERY grumpy sleeper, unfortunately; not much help to me!). I don't know how to not give in but not get in trouble. It doesn't sound like there's a way around the tears, but I sure wish there was!!!

Any miracle cures? Awnja, does your DD cry when she wakes at night even though you don't nurse her or is she satisfied with comforting her other ways?

Thanks guys

So far the only thing I've accomplished is that he isn't nursing really at all during the day anymore (which is not what I was trying to do, necessarily) but still wants his milks at night.
    Coincidence? Sounds like he's a busy bee during the day and then (of course) wants to nurse at night when there's "nothing better to do" (except sleep, yeah right!).
    I think part of your strategy could be focusing on getting him to BF more/for longer stretches during the day and especially in the evening.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

molly thats the thing I would try, nurse good during the day. AT just 1 your baby is still very small. When they get a little bit older you can reason with them. That doesn't work well with a 1 year old.
    I agree with a pp, some kids just wake a night even if you don't have nursing to get them back to sleep.
    My 10 year old was one of thoose kids, he didn't start sleeping all night untill he was 6 and then he started to wet his bed. I would rather them get up then wet the bed. Thats rough! Anyways he would get up and come get in bed with me, When we brought his brother home from the hosptial he desided that my bedroom was to loud with the baby crying and he slept all night in his own bed.
    My dd is 3 and she still gets up most nights, she knows that she cann't nurse untill it's morning. So she comes in and asks if its morning. uggg....
    most nights I don't give in but then I'm awake for a long time and shes sound asleep. If I'm realy tired sometimes I give in.
    She has to have the 1st thing in the morning nurse or she is just a basket case all day.