Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thumb Sucking While Nursing?

Default Thumb Sucking While Nursing?

My 4.5 month old son recently discovered how to jam his thumb into his mouth while nursing. (Yep, while my nipple is still in there.) It can be slightly painful when he does it, so I try to gently remove it and just hold hands with him. I know he's discovering new things lately, but I was wondering if this might just be a sign he's got a full belly and wants to just comfort nurse at that point? Sometimes if I offer a plain thumb-free boob afterwards to him he just arches away from it and acts upset. Then I put him down and he goes to town on his thumb, fingers, entire fist, etc.

Default Re: Thumb Sucking While Nursing?

this has to be really frustrating, but this is really cute, too. juniper used to do that and it made me batty. she outgrew it. looking back, it was hilarious. she's since developed new hilarious skills, like squeezing my boob during let-down so she can enjoy a good spray in the face.
    i really think, at least for juni and i, it was comfort sucking at its best. if you know he's gotten some good milk transferred, let him suck the thumb and see what the appetite is like later. -you know, it catches up at night, anyway!!
    ps i found the only harm in the thumb sucking while she was nursing tended to be LOTS of air intake. we did lots of burping.

Oh yeah, he definitely catches up at night. Some nights I have to nurse for almost 2 hours to get him to the point where he's not whining when I put him down to sleep. Poor little hungry dude.

He has been taking in more air when he does that, you're right. Little guy belches like an old drunkard. He also breaks suction every time he does it and then it screws up his latch a little. He hasn't done it yet today so maybe he's moved on from it already. Who knows!

My six month old daughter started doing that at around 4.5 months and dropped it pretty quickly after about two weeks. It's like she discovered her thumb, thought it was the coolest thing ever for two weeks, and then moved on to other things. Hopefully your little man has already found something else to do. It was definitely cute and annoying while it lasted.