Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daycare and pumped milk question

Default Daycare and pumped milk question

My LO is new to daycare. We are on day 3 now. I'm sending expressed milk in bottles containing 2 1//2 ounces each. Yesterday, LO didn't finish a bottle at one feeding and the worker dumped the milk. Is this typical? If it is, what can I do to make sure he gets what he needs over the course of the day? I don't produce enough milk to send extra daily, and (as we learned the first day) if I send more as a back-up, they will give it to him as part of his regular feeding.

Default Re: Daycare and pumped milk question

I think 1) it's normal for your little one to drink a small amount and 2) you can request they save your milk for a second feeding. It can just go right back into the fridge. They are used to formula feeding where you have to throw the milk out in an hour and breastmilk can be reused. I would insist on that personally,
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I agree. Stick the milk back in the fridge and drink the rest later. Or give them smaller portions. You absolutely do NOT want them throwing out your precious milk!
    Here are some links including some stuff you can print out for helping caregivers with bottle feeding of breastfed babies:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/e...reastfed-baby/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

Unfortunately as I've also found, licensed large daycares have some idiodic rules that breastmilk or formula has be tossed if the baby does not consume it within one hour. My DD2 started daycare three weeks ago and I started with multiple 2 ounce bottles. She's up to 2-1/2 ounces now but at least once or twice a week they'll have to throw out the last 1/2 ounce of a bottle. Fortunately I have oversupply but I can imagine how frustrating this is to a mom who is doing everything to pump just enough!
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pizanite View Post
    I think 1) it's normal for your little one to drink a small amount and 2) you can request they save your milk for a second feeding. It can just go right back into the fridge. They are used to formula feeding where you have to throw the milk out in an hour and breastmilk can be reused. I would insist on that personally,
    That's what I want them to do. I'm just not sure what the rules are for providers.

Fortunately I have oversupply but I can imagine how frustrating this is to a mom who is doing everything to pump just enough!
    It is frustrating. I don't have a low supply, but I'm right on the edge of it and I have to watch every single thing I do to make sure I don't lose the ability to make enough milk. Things are improving, but very slowly (I'm now producing about a 1/2 ounce more per day). I really want to exclusively breast feed.

I plan to talk to the day care owner. They are a new facility and while they are accommodating (for the most part), it's obvious that no one there has any experience with breastfed babies in a daycare setting. They aren't being difficult, but we are at the beginning of our relationship and I don't want things to go wrong. I like the women in the infant room and they are really great with LO.

You may want to give 2 ounce bottles with 1/2 ounce "toppers." It means lots of containers to wash... but better than your milk going down the drain!

It varies state by state. They are required to follow state guidelines on length of time BM can be allowed to stand at room temp after it's been heated and offered to baby. In my state, it is 2 hrs. Some more stringent states limit it to one hour unfortunately. You can ask your daycare to show you the guidance in print related to policies and procedures for breastmilk handling. (Or you can search for it online, most states publish the guidance -- it will be under whatever state department controls licensing and oversight for child care.)

However, within the limits allowable in your state, ask your provider to work with you to offer the bottle again up to the end of the time period. So for my LO, the bottle is offered at say 9am; if he refuses or only takes part, they offer again at 10am; if there is still some remaining, they will offer a third time just before 11am, so that he has the opportunity to eat as much as possible before the milk has to be thrown away. Good luck!

The daycare we looked into said that while they cannot offer the bottle again, they can cap it and allow you to take it home at the end of the day. They don't have to dump it, but they can't offer it themselves. This would give you the option to offer it when you get home or (depending on your comfort level), send it back the next day.

We just started daycare too and they won't save the milk I have been having them offer a bottle then use the rest to mix with cereal so she gets all the milk that way. Also, small bottles are great!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012