Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Qs re night nursing 2yr old

Default Qs re night nursing 2yr old

If my 2yr old is still nursing 2-3 times a night, that's because she needs to for whatever reason, right? I'd like to get more sleep but because of food issues I'm not confident about night weaning her...I'd like to give her whatever she needs still. I'm guessing she's hungry or thirsty, not just "checking in" with me?

Also, if we bedshare, will she still gradually stop nursing at night?

We have another added complication: lip-tie, which we discovered at 11 months and decided not to have cut, means that I have to wake all the way up every time she nurses because she takes in extra air and needs burping.

I'm SO tired and barely coping in the mornings...she doesn't need a nap until 1 or 2, but I'm ready for one at 11. I'm problem-solving this at the moment! Not sure whether I may be dehydrated through the morning, not eating enough breakfast...

Thanks for any thoughts!
    emumma

Default Re: Qs re night nursing 2yr old

Night nursing does eventually decrease naturally, right? Has anyone who has gone down this path share how long it took/how it happened? Or has anyone done both (mummy-led night weaning and child-led), with a comparison to share?

Hi Enumma! It sounds like you are having some busy nights.

By age 2 it's often possible to talk with children to try and figure out what is up. When you say "food issue" concerns, can you please explain a little? That might help folks in giving you advice. Have you tried asking your daughter if she is hungry or thirsty when she asks to nurse in the night? Or ask if she wants to be extra close to her mum? I think that if it were me I would try talking with her to see if you can get an idea as to what she is thinking. You may not have to night wean her completely, but if she tells you that she is just wanting to snuggle maybe you could talk with her about how you are right there sharing the bed, etc.

I do not have a story to share re: night weaning mum-led or child-led to compare. Around 18 months I was just exhausted and my husband started solely sleeping with our twins. That really cut out the night nursing (almost unintentionally, actually!) because they just didn't wake up much anymore, and when they did there was daddy right there to snuggle with. I am a light sleeper and wasn't getting enough sleep with the rest of the family so I sleep in a separate bed with the cats now.

I wish that I had more words of wisdom to offer! Good luck.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Thx Nicola, I like your ideas but I guess I haven't done that yet because she doesn't communicate that much...barely even any eye contact until a few months ago, because of food sensitivities a particular homeopathic treatment helped. She pretty much didn't smile until 10.5 months, when I eliminated gluten from both of our diets, very uncomfortable early on from dairy and nightshades as well. She's super smart, very alert now, and ahead on other milestones... I'll give it a go, though, see what we can do.

Yes, night nursing does decrease when the child is ready - even if you bedshare Hang in there mama. My son nursed every 2 hours for over 2 years I thought the night nursing would never end. I even tried to night wean him, but he clearly wasn't ready. And you know what? When he was ready he stopped nursing at night. On his own. He was around 2.5 when he stopped waking to nurse at night. He would instead wake to have a drink of water (we kept a travel sippy in bed with us and he would drink from that). We co-slept as well.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

my two year old still nurses at night. most of the time i just nurse him but recently i said "all done, mommys all done" just because my breast was sore. he accepted it and rolled over.

ive tried it once in awhile since and sometimes he doesnt have it and sometimes hes ok with not nursing. see how you both feel. i too tend to want him nursing as much as he needs so i try not to limit it, but if you need a break thats ok too.