Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: after a miscarriage?

Default after a miscarriage?

Wasn't sure what forum would be most appropriate for this question, so here goes:

Someone I know recently suffered a miscarriage after dealing with a pregnancy and a young infant. The infant is now 5 months old. She was losing her supply due to the pregnancy. I am wondering what the expectation is for her supply in this situation?

Default Re: after a miscarriage?

If she continues to nurse, her supply should eventually come back. But it may take some time, because the pregnancy hormones will linger for a while.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes that sounds right. But my experince with this is with nursing toddlers over a year old. This is really young, so I wonder if mom was supplementing, limiting/spacing nursing sessions, and/or having milk production issues prior to getting pregnant?

I assume in any case, baby is getting supplements now, so mom will have to figure out weaning from those as well. If baby is being supplemented, she may want to consider pumping. In other words, besides waiting for the hormonal changes, mom may need to take some more active steps to 'relactate' depending on the history. Yes this can happen just from baby nursing as long as baby nurses well enough and often enough.

This is a mom that was/is trying really hard to keep her supply going (pumping etc.), but was/is resorting to supplementing with community donated milk (I am contributing, which is why I am asking about someone else's situation). I don't know if the milk production issues started before or not, good point.

OK, good to know that it might take some time for the pregnancy hormone effects to go away. And as you point out, weaning off the supplements can be its own battle. So the need is likely to be there for some time to come.

If the mother wants, I believe she could have her hormone levels tested. This is sometimes recommended post miscarriage anyway.