Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Progressive Decrease in Supply

Default Progressive Decrease in Supply

Over the past two months I have had a progressive decrease in supply. It all started in December when I had Mastitis. Before that I was pumping 12oz at work, which is exactly what I needed to send to the babysitters while I was at work. After the Mastitis, I was only able to pump 8oz at work, which is a whole bottle+ less than I was pumping! I started taking the Fenugreek daily, along with upping my water supply, eating oatmeal, ginger, and fennel. I was able to get my supply up to 10oz while at work, which was better. Since then, I have progressively been getting less and less, and I keep doing everything I've been doing. I just went to pump now and I didn't even get 1oz combined!!! I don't know what else to do or what I'm doing wrong!! I take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle three times a day. I pump from the other breast when she's feeding when I'm at home. I drink plenty of water. I eat lacation cookies (fennel, oatmeal, brewer's yeast, etc) every morning. My daughter is 5 months old and I've been breastfeeding the whole time. I have had to sub in formula (which I am very unhappy about) recently because she wouldn't have enough milk while I'm at work. I know stressing out about it isn't helping, but I'm hoping someone can give me some sort of advice as to what I can do!

Default Re: Progressive Decrease in Supply

I had the same problem as you around the same time (around 5months). It all started for me when I had the stomach bug and my supply decreased dramatically.

How long is your daughter at daycare?

My pumping output has been almost identical to yours. I went from sending 12oz a day, to only sending 9-10oz a day around the 6month mark. My little boy didn't actually NEED 12oz when I was gone (maybe your daughter does), but have you tried only sending what you have pumped?

I also would try adding in a pumping session if she sleeps a long stretch during the night. I usually can pump around 11pm and get another 1oz or so. It's not much, but it does help!

My boy is now 10 months and my pumping output at work is about 6-7oz, but if I pump one extra time every day (including weekends), I'm able to save up enough milk so he's getting about 9oz at daycare. If I only send 8oz, I just remind myself that my son will make up for it when he's home with me.

I hope this helps! You are doing a fantastic job!!! Do you feel like your daughter is gaining weight and having enough wet diapers? Does she seem satisfied when she is with you?
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Default Re: Progressive Decrease in Supply

What kind of pump are you using? If you're not already, maybe renting a hospital grade pump might help to increase your output?