Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting baby back to breast. Please help

Default Re: Getting baby back to breast. Please help

before I found this forum I had called the breastfeeding help # and left a message
    It was the LLL breastfeeding help number that I called.

When your baby is given a bottle, how much is baby given, and how many times a day does baby get a bottle? A 7 week old breastfed baby would typically take between 2-4 ounces a feeding and eat AT LEAST 10 times a day for a total intake of about 30 ounces per day. Some babies nurse much more often and as long as baby is gaining well that is fine.

If, as is usually the case, your baby is being formula fed much differently than this, that is something to consider. One of the problems when mothers try to move from formula feeding to breastfeeding is they expect one type of feeding to be similar to the other, when they are not-it’s like comparing apples and oranges. You can make formula feeding more like breastfeeding (that is what paced/cue bottle feeding is about, partially,) but you really cannot make breastfeeding like bottle/formula feeding.

What the Leader on the helpline suggested sounds like what is commonly referred to as a ‘nursing vacation.’ It can be a very effective tool for both increasing milk production and encouraging a reluctant nurser.

If you like, you can treat every night you are with baby as a ‘nursing vacation’ as well. If baby is nursing very frequently, then you probably will not need to pump as much, or at all, for that time, assuming baby is nursing effectively. If nursing is not painful to you and baby is actively swallowing for part of the feeding, that is a good sign that baby is nursing well.

If this sounds like a good idea in theory to you, but it makes you nervous to do this with no supplements, why not do it but with supplemental feedings as ‘needed’? Trust your instincts.

I don’t understand the 30 minutes this or that. I don’t get that part of what you say the other Leader said. If you are going to try a nursing vacation, just let baby nurse as long as baby will as frequently as baby will. If it’s every 30 minutes for 30 minutes, that is ok. But this is just an example. It may be nothing like that. Just offer the breast frequently. Switch sides whenever you or baby want. You can offer to nurse as much as you want, it won’t hurt baby to nurse a lot. If it is becoming clear from behavior that baby needs more than you can produce, you could try a small amount of supplement and then encourage baby to nurse again. Again, trust your instincts. No one wants you to starve your baby into nursing. That does not work.

I assume your baby is now a healthy weight and otherwise healthy. And you do make some milk, so baby will be getting something from nursing. We don’t know how much really because usually, babies extract better than pumps and you are using an old, possibly poorly performing pump. A healthy 7 week old is not going to starve if they get slightly less food than usual for a few hours or a weekend. But if you are going to eliminate or even cut down on supplements, you do need to watch output just in case.

A baby will sometimes take a bottle even if they are not really hungry, and will sometimes drink it all down even if full. This is one reason why bottle fed babies are often overfed. The paced bottle feeding ideas I linked in an earlier post may help with this a little bit, but it is never a good idea to decide a baby did not get enough at the breast just because they drank from a bottle after nursing, or want to nurse again in a short time.

oh and as long as baby is not nursing or not nursing well or frequently enough and you are pumping, keep hand expressing after pumping as you are doing. It sounds like your pump is possibly not extracting milk effectively, so the hand expressing will help with this.

Also trouble shoot your pump. I know you are getting a new one but until then. Check the connections, make sure there are no holes in the tubing, change the membranes.

Okay so I wanted to give an update on everything. And I am full of questions!
    I have been pumping ALOT but not enough I need to add in a middle of the night pump still and just got my new pump yesterday so dont know if that is helping yet or not. But My son is starting to brestfeed more and more. Now when we come home from me picking him up from daycare he will nurse for a little while, alot of it is just comfort and not actively feeding but he does feed some of that time. The rest of the night he usually will only eat for a couple minutes on each side but I can tell he is becoming more and more comfortable with it. Actually early this morning 3 a.m he nursed on one side and then fell back asleep (he usually would take a bottle at this time.) then at 4:40 a.m. he woke again and nursed on both sides and fell back asleep. I assume he didnt get too full from the 3 a.m. feeding since he woke up at 4:40 to nurse again.... anyways I still think that is great progress
    As far as pumping goes. I went from getting an ounce a day to now getting 7-8 ounces from 4 pumping sessions(while I am at work). I dont keep track once I am home since I try to nurse him first always. But I am averaging about 1.5-2 oz per session. I guess that is alot of prggress in a week and a half? Not sure.
    I am still on the fenugreek and mother milk tea. I have been reading alot about getting milk supply back up and have been wondering about domperidone. I have done alot of research about it but am still nervous about it. I dont know if I need to ask my ob and the babies pedi about this or an LC or what. I want to make sure it is not going to harm my baby and if I knew it wouldnt I would probably try it. I know you cant tell me I should or shouldnt take anything but didnt know if you knew much about this or whom I should ask?
    Also is it a good or bad thing that my baby gets so choked while nursing. He has to pull off and chokes and all that good stuff. I mean I know that means he is definitley getting some milk from me. Also If I am producing 1 oz when pumping does this mean he is only getting and ounce from me or is getting more than that?
    Is it bad that in the middle of the night/early morning when he nurses that he falls back asleep and I dont give him a bottle of formula afterwards? I dont want him to be falling asleep because he is too tired from working to get milk...
    Another question I have is, is from the progress I have made ina a little over a week does it sound liek I might be able to get my full supply back? I keep worrying that it is not going to go up from here that this is it and I wont be able to make more that what I am now. Also I heard that 12 wks is the cutt off for your milk supply to regulate? That if it is not established by then, then it is very hard to get it up. So I am a little concerned about getting it back up and full before he is 12 weeks. Any thoughts on this?

Your babies nursing behavior sounds entirely normal. It is normal for a baby to nurse and go back to sleep. How are you characterizing nursing for comfort vs. active feeding? In a typical nursing session, both occur.

So you are pumping about 1.5 to 2 ounces per session, 7 or so times more than a week ago? Yes, obviously that is a very great improvement!

How often does baby nurse-how many times a day? How much is he getting per bottle and how frequently when you are at work? How much and how often are you supplementing after nursing?

Have you considered supplementing in small amounts prior to nursing, instead of after, at least part of the time? I don't have time to explain why this is helpful right now but it is. Anyone feel free to jump in.

Also If I am producing 1 oz when pumping does this mean he is only getting and ounce from me or is getting more than that?
    no you cannot measure milk intake this way. usually, baby is better than pump.

Actually early this morning 3 a.m he nursed on one side and then fell back asleep (he usually would take a bottle at this time.) then at 4:40 a.m. he woke again and nursed on both sides and fell back asleep. I assume he didnt get too full from the 3 a.m. feeding since he woke up at 4:40 to nurse again.... anyways I still think that is great progress
    yes this is great progress and the fact he wanted to nurse 1 and a half hours after nursing does not suggest he did not 'get enough' the first time.

in the normal course of breastfeeding-Babies need to nurse frequently-a minimum of 10 times a day. They do not nurse on schedules, they cluster nurse, they have some short sessions and some long sessions, they love to nurse to sleep. it's all part of the normal behavior and means nothing about milk production or not getting enough. Quite simply, as long as your baby were gaining ok, it would be normal for baby to nurse every hour, at least part of the time.

Try positioning baby differently if that initial flow is bothering him, with baby more on top of the breast.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 7th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

OK so when he nurses he starts out by actively nursing and then he will just comfort nurse ( i dont know I can just tell the difference) then he will go back and activley nurse somemore and he switches back and forth quite a bit during the session.

Well I am able to pump 3x at work and then I pump at home. But just from what I have been pumping at work so 3x Day 1 of starting I got 1oz for the whole day. Now on Day 12 I am bringing home 6-6.5 oz home. So tht does not include anything that I pump at home.

My right side produces double what my left side is producing, is this normal?
    When I pump my right side will yeild an 1-1.5 oz where my left side is only .5-1 oz per session.
    Also in the morning is where I do see an increase so yesterday I pumped at 9:30 am and got almost 2oz on my right side and then 1oz on my left side. I had right at 3 oz jsut from that session. but the rest of the day it goes back down.

Last night the baby nursed every feeding probably 5-6 times that night. Only 3 times did he act like he needed a bottle afterwards and he drank maybe 1-1.5 oz from the bottle. But one of those times he nursed ate a 2 oz of bottle after and he spit up ALOT. I think he overate and may have not needed the bottle or maybe just needed an ounce instead of 2 oz. But then like 30 min later he wanted to eat again and he ate another ounce from a bottle.

I dont know how often he is eating at daycare (small in home daycare) but she said he just kind of snack all day so he will eat about 2.5-3 oz usually she said. (formula)

So I should try giving him like an ounce before I try to nurse him? I am worried that if he gets the bottle first he wont want to take the breast is this something that might happen or will he take the breast after already having the bottle first?

Ok so he used to nurse in whatever position but now the only position I can get him to nurse in is in the bed on our sides belly to belly. I am worried he will never want to nurse in any other position. I mean every time i try another position he starts freaking out and crying and will not take the breast. I cant even use a pillow or anything.

Most women do produce more on one side than the other, and more in the morning. Totally normal.
    You can try offering a bit in the bottle before the breast - he might be more willing to stay at the breast if he's not ravenously hungry, YKWIM?
    As for the nursing position, my LO went through a phase with that too - she would only nurse lying down; she got over it after a few weeks! Just keep offering in different positions.

I agree with carm3.

I dont know how often he is eating at daycare (small in home daycare) but she said he just kind of snack all day so he will eat about 2.5-3 oz usually she said. (formula)
    2.5 to 3 ounces can be a full feeding for a bf baby, or pretty close to it. Baby needs about 30 ounces a day. If baby eats 10 times, that is three ounces per feeding.

Ok so he is nursing for every feeding now and hardly taking any bottles afterwards. I am nervous that he is not getting enough to eat.

oh and one exciting thing is, is that he chose the breast over the bottle one time yesterday.

also how do I know if my supply is enough and how do I know it will continue to be enough? I am nervous about all this.

It sounds like you're making excellent progress! Your baby should let you know if he's still hungry - fussing, rooting, sticking fingers in his mouth...whatever signs you normally look for. Count your diapers - make sure at least 5 or 6 wet diapers/24 hours. Your supply is enough if you're able to mainting those diapers, and the way to keep it up is to nurse on demand/pump when baby would normally feed if you're away. Your body was meant to do this - trust it! Keep up the good work!