Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding foster babies?

Default Breastfeeding foster babies?

Hi all,

I just became a licensed foster parent, so no babies yet. I am, however, the mother of 5 children already, and I nursed them all very successfully.

When I asked the person in charge at our foster agency if breastfeeding foster babies was allowed, she said no one had ever asked her that . She said there was definitely no rule against it, and that it would probably depend on the birth mother.

My husband and I are Christians and are believing that if God wants me to nurse any baby that He brings to me, that He will make it permissible for me to do so.

So...I'm "preparing for rain" (see "Facing The Giants" movie) and plan to purchase a Lack-Aid Nursing Trainer (unless someone has a better idea).

I'd love to hear any advice, input, etc. about this! Also, any advocacy I can show to the DHHS in my area on the benefits of breastfeeding (especially possible drug affected babies) would be great! I plan to bottle feed as well, so that if/when babies move on (but we'd love to adopt!) they won't be traumatized over not being able to nurse anymore.

Thanks!
    Winni

Wife and SAH Homeschooling Mama to 5

BD - 14
    BD - 11
    BS - 8
    BS - 5
    BS - 3

Default Re: Breastfeeding foster babies?

Sometimes you have to do hormone therapy to trick your body into thinking you had a baby, and sometimes you need to use other drugs as well as the nurser to get your body to relactate again. Other then that, I wish you success!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    Sometimes you have to do hormone therapy to trick your body into thinking you had a baby, and sometimes you need to use other drugs as well as the nurser to get your body to relactate again. Other then that, I wish you success!
    Really? I won't just start producing milk again as a natural reaction?
    Winni

BD - 14
    BD - 11
    BS - 8
    BS - 5
    BS - 3

I think it depends on when you last lactated. when was that?
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    I think it depends on when you last lactated. when was that?
    About 2.5 years ago. I didn't nurse my youngest for very long (long story).
    Winni

BD - 14
    BD - 11
    BS - 8
    BS - 5
    BS - 3

My mom did the nurser with my first adopted brother, she had nursed 4 of her own children before that........she had to use drugs. And it was still really hard. And it had only been 1 year since she nursed youngest brother. But every one's body is a little different. What one person has to do is not necessarily what another will have to do. But, sometimes it is.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

One question I would have is how quickly can a foster child be removed from a home (for whatever reason)? I know nothing of the foster care system - but if there is a possibility of the child being removed from the home with short notice, I might reconsider nursing. It would be so traumatic for the little one if there wasn't time to lovingly wean.

If there would be plenty of notice, then I think it's a wonderful idea and a foster child will be lucky to have you!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Welcome!

There is a relactation section further down the forums list and you might find more info there.

As far as the benefits to breastfeeding drug addicted babies I haven't found any studies concerning this topic (not to say that there aren't any I just didn't see any). But the benefits of breastmilk over formula are many and I would think that printing out those types of information would be useful.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

There's also a wide range of what you might consider successful breastfeeding in a case of induced lactation -- from producing a small amount of milk that allows you to bond with the baby through nursing in addition to feeding formula, to producing a full supply so that the baby doesn't need any formula. How hard it would be depends partly on what your goals are.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to breastfeed foster babies. I have read it somewhere but I can't remember where...

ETA - I guess it depends on the agency. I don't think you can here.
    Not allowed in TX.

ETA: breast *feeding* is not allowed. breast *milk*, though, i believe is not specifically prohibited.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012