Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping before baby?

Default Pumping before baby?

Hi llladies!
    It's been awhile since I posted last. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I have started to produce colostrum again and I'm wondering if there is any point in pumping it. I had a terrible time getting started last time and was pressured to give my severely dairy allergic child formula. If I had a stash of breast milk I could use that to supplement if my milk is delayed again. It took 5 days last time, but I had an emergency c section.

Thoughts?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Default Re: Pumping before baby?

Pumping is generally not recommended before birth, because intense nipple stimulation results in the release of the hormone oxytocin, which in high enough amounts can bring on contractions and induce labor. Not what you want at just 30 weeks!

Are you planning a repeat c-section, or aiming for a VBAC?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am doing everything to prep for a VBAC! I'm aiming to deliver in a birthing pool actually! It's really exciting since I found a pair of midwives that are super supportive, work out of the hospital I am recommended to birth at and are covered by medical. I feel spoiled :-)
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma

It's not a good idea to pump before you have the baby. The nipple stimulation can cause contractions and potentially trigger early labor.

Hopefully this time you are better able to get things off to a good start, since you have some experience under your belt. It is normal for your milk to take a little extra time to come in after a csection. I was the same way- 5 days. Supplementation is not always necessary, so definitely keep that in mind this time around. Unless baby is losing abnormal amounts of weight, frequent nursing should get baby enough colostrum to hold him/her until your milk comes in. And it's likely it will come in sooner this time, it usually does with subsequent babies.

ETA: Good luck with the VBAC!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

But I should add my placenta is low and I might be told after my next ultra sound that I need a c section.

I hope the placenta moves and you get your VBAC, mama!

Since you're aiming for a VBAC, I think the's less reason to worry about colostrum right now. Most VBACs are successful, and since you're looking at somewhere between a 60-80% chance of success (maybe even better odds than that, depending on which study you choose), I think the chances are excellent that you're just going to simply put this baby to the breast and never worry about bottles and supplements.

But let's say the placenta doesn't move, or you end up having a repeat c-section for some other reason- what then? Well, I still don't think you need to worry. First, you'll know what to expect, and hopefully that will make your recovery from a c-section easier. Hopefully your milk will come in faster this time. But if it doesn't, you'll know that your baby can make it 5 days with no milk because your first c-section baby did, and hopefully that will mean that you can withstand pressure from the formula-pushers more easily and confidently. And a bottle of colostrum- well, it's still a bottle and early introduction of artificial nipples can screw up breastfeeding.

Of course, none of the above guarantees a positive experience. So if you want to have some insurance against a repeat bad experience, I think you might want to hand-express some colostrum and put it into a syringe. Hand-expression is not as stimulating as pumping, so it's unlikely to induce labor. And a syringe is a good way to supplement a newborn, if supplementation becomes necessary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I just finished reading "Making more milk" and it says in it to start doing hand expression towards the end and save the colustrum. Does that carry the same risk as pumping or is that safe to do? It mentioned that extracting it sooner can lead to an increase in milk supply, so want to be sure I try everything. Thanks.

Hand expression should be okay, but don't overdo it. I'd aim for 5 minutes, max, stopping immediately if you feel like it's starting to stimulate contractions.