Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The flu :(

Default Re: The flu :(

Yep, I am not thinking it's mastitis anymore either since the fever and chills lasted from last Friday night-Saturday night. Since then, I haven't experienced either one.

The pain that I am experiencing occurred during the first couple weeks of nursing and then went away. It has returned in the past couple days. When she unlatches, it looks like a pencil eraser, and we haven't had any antibiotics, thrush, etc. Nothing red/pink/shiny in the areola area and no cracking or flaking skin. The pain is more of a sharp stabbing pain. I was recently just put on Camila birth control and have been on it for abour 2 weeks now. It only has progestin in it and my doctor assured me that it was fine to take while breastfeeding. That is the only medication that I am currently on.

When I have pumped in the past, I would pump kind of in between feedings while she was napping and then right before I would go to bed at night. If for some reason I would be away from her and my husband would give her a bottle, I would come home and pump right away to make up for that feeding. I guess I just like the idea of having a good supply on hand...even when grocery shopping, I'll pick up extras of things just to make sure that I have them when I need them! I'm guessing that mentality is taking over with breastfeeding too.

It irks me when docs tell women that progestin-only contraception is absolutely guaranteed not to affect milk supply. There is at least good anecdotal evidence that for SOME women, progestin-only pills do have a deleterious effect on supply. Since your LO continues to have good diaper output and you're continuing to have normal pump output, it's quite possible that you're among the majority of women for whom progestin-only contraception has no adverse impact on supply. But if at any point you feel like your supply is decreasing to the point where it is becoming inadequate, then you might want to think about alternative forms of birth control. You can always crowdsource your options here on the forum!

It's weird that you'd have the stabbing pain without seeing wedged nipples (indicating a latch problem). I wonder if perhaps your baby changed her latch recently in order to better control the milk flow? I am also wondering about something called vasospasm, which is a sudden painful constriction of the blood vessels in an extremity. If this is vasospasm, you might notice that it gets worse when it's cold, and you'd likely see the tips of your nipples turn white and then return to normal coloration, or perhaps go through a triphasic color change of white/bluish-purple/normal. If this continues, maybe put in a call to your local lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for an in-person evaluation?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ugh! The only side effect that my doctor mentioned when prescribing this birth control was that I would have irregular bleeding and that was it. Do you really think it's possible that my birth control could have an impact on my supply? I have been on it for 2 weeks now as of yesterday. Or do you think it was my fever that made my supply tank?

It's funny that you mention that I notice this stabbing pain when it gets cold outside. I live in the Chicago area, and whenever I have been walking my dog outside and it's cold, I do get a distinct pain in my nipples, even with layers and a heavy coat on! I will make sure to keep an eye on that and call an IBCLC if I notice that happening.

I think it's an open question whether it was the fever or the pill or normal supply adjustments- or a combination of all three- that was responsible for the rapid decrease in supply. The one aspect of the puzzle that you have the most control over is the pill- so if at any time you're struggling, you might want to take the pill out of the equation.

This is a good link on vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Ok, I am starting to feel like the girl who cried wolf here! It seems that with each passing day, I begin to experience a new symptom which leads me to believe I may have a different condition than what I previously thought. I promise I'm not a hypochondriac! All of a sudden, my breasts are very itchy and I am still having shooting pains in both breasts and they feel very tender. I am questioning now if I and/or the baby has thrush. She is sleeping right now, so I can't check her mouth at the moment, but in the past, I have seen white areas in her mouth, but I was just thinking it was the remnants of breast milk or something that was on the verge of being spit up. Right now, my nipples are also bluish-purplish...could this suggest latch issues? Or that she is just sucking too hard while nursing?

Does it hurt when you nurse? or other times as well? Is the 'stabbing' short lived? I am wondering if it is in any way related to milk ejection (let down.)
    Is the itching al over the breast or just on the nipples/areolas?

This might be thrush but could also be an untreated/improperly treated 'low lying' bacterial infection-ie, mastitis. See http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...rent-mastitis/
    Right now, my nipples are also bluish-purplish...could this suggest latch issues?
    yes. Or injury due to somethign else. I don;t know why a baby would suddenly start 'sucking to hard" after not doing so (?)
    I suggest considering seeing a board certified lactation consultant. She could 'examine' you and baby and observe a nursing session. Is that possible for you?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Luv2tap80 View Post
    Right now, my nipples are also bluish-purplish...could this suggest latch issues?
    To me, it suggests Raynaud's phenomenon- see that link from kellymom.com in my last post. Raynaud's can cause shooting pain which is often mistaken for thrush.

I'm sorry we seem to be unable to give you the single right answer for what is going on- which is why I second LLLMeg's suggestion to see a professional for an in-person evaluation. There are some things that are very hard to accurately describe in writing but which are blindingly obvious in real life...

Thanks for all of your continued help! It is very much appreciated and I am thankful for all of your help throughout all of this. I am going to try to meet with a lactation consultant next week to get down to the bottom of all this. There's just so many variables with the start of birth control, the fever last weekend, my baby's fussiness at the breast from time to time, the breast pain, and the breast itchiness, that it's hard to narrow it down to one thing. I am going to keep nursing though and I will let you know what I find out!