Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottle fed in nicu an now only nibble from breast

Default bottle fed in nicu an now only nibble from breast

I had my baby 33/1, went directly to nicu for 4 weeks. SHe was in 95% weight at birth. Drs were intent on her getting specific amounts that she was primarily bottle fed during that time, I was only encouraged to breast feed ad lib the last week. Now at home almost 4 weeks and I try breast feeding every time she is hungry. she nibbles but never sucks very well. getting discouraged. Have tried nipple shield but she is not fond of it. HELP

Default Re: bottle fed in nicu an now only nibble from breast

Welcome to the forum!

The first thing I want to say is that it's wonderful that your baby will latch on and "nibble." After 4 weeks of bottles, it's a triumph that she is willing to do that! It is way better to have a baby who will latch than one who resists.

This link is a good place to start for tips on getting a baby to nurse: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be especially helpful.

In the 4 weeks that your LO was in the NICU, were you pumping? And if so, how is your output at this point? Are you using a hospital-grade pump, or some other machine?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was pumping every 3-4 hours- so I have a stockpile of milk to last quite a while. Anywhere from 4-9oz at a time. I was using hospital grade while at her bedside and the medela pump in style at home. The hospital grade was so much better. I am trying to be persistent and not give up, it is very trying at times. I have her to the point I only supplement with bottles 2-3 times per day but while bf I do breast compression to help her eat. I will look at link to see what else I can do. Lactation consultant at my hospital didn't have much insight on preemies, and most of my preemie mother firends have given up by now. I don't want to fall into those statistics. Thanks

That's fantastic! Only supplementing 2-3 times a day is literally amazing, considering that if I did my math right, your baby is only just now reaching her due date. I was just at an IRL meeting where a mom with a 2 week old full-term baby was talking about how she needed to do breast compressions all the time or the baby would fall asleep.

Just keep on keeping on, and I am sure you'll be able to ditch the supplemental bottles pretty soon.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for the encouragement. You have no idea how much it helps me from getting discouraged. She was full term jan 25. Almost double her birth weight too. Thanks again!