Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grinding his teeth--eek!

Default Grinding his teeth--eek!

My LO is 7.5 mths and has recently learned how to grind his teeth--he has 2 bottom, 2 top, and is cutting 2 more on the top. This morning he was grinding his teeth while laying in his crib, then when I was feeding him some pureed fruit he was grinding his teeth in between bites. Now that he's up and playing, he's still grining his teeth. It seems that he does this every so often, like he discovers one day he can do and does it all day, then forgets about it for a week or two. It makes a horrible noise! I don't know what to do, or if there's anything I can or should do. I'm not too worried about damage to the teeth, since he'll lose them in a few years anyway, but the sound is bad. I try to tell him no or stop, but he doesn't know words yet. I think he's just exploring the feeling of having teeth and, luckily, he doesn't bite me when nursing.

Should I be concerned? Anyone else experience this?

Default Re: Grinding his teeth--eek!

My LO did this for a while. It drove me nuts. Then I guess I just forgot about it and she must have stopped, because I don't remember it happening in a while. It probably started around the same time as yours, maybe a few months earlier. I know when my sister heard it, she had a flashback to my nephew doing it, and she said she hadn't thought about it in years. The sound brought the memories flooding back! I think it's okay, probably just them getting used to their new teeth. But wouldn't hurt to mention to the pediatrician if it goes on for many months.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

I know this thread is a bit older, I was about to post the same question but did a quick search first. LO has two top and two bottom teeth and has just figured out how to grind them together. Sounds absolutely horrible (but I have to admit, her face looks kinda cute while she's doing it!). Sounds like this is pretty normal and will pass, and I don't just have a super stressed out 10 month old

mine does this pretty frequently now too (at 24 months)
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I started this post awhile ago, and luckily it was temporary. He does it occasionally now, but while eating, learning to use his 8 teeth with 3, including a lower molar, just peeking out, so he'll have 11 in a few days! Wow.
    Andie

born 6/13/2012

~First-time Mama~
    and now finished with