Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In danger of losing supply?

Default In danger of losing supply?

My 6.5 month old has recently started sleeping better at night, and I'm worried it will affect my supply (I hope to BF till at least 1 yr). Lately our schedule is this:
    BT 7:45/8pm, first feed between midnight and 2am, and then sometimes not again till 6 or 7 am!
    We have started solids but mainly fruit and just for fun. Should I wake her up more often to nurse?

Default Re: In danger of losing supply?

I'm not an expert (I'm a first time mom), but your schedule seems to match mine fairly closely. My LO is 7.5 mths and our routine is: nurse around 7, then have some cereal mixed with bm and a veggie; nurse to sleep around 9 or 9:30, then he's been waking around 3 and 7, though sometimes it's 2 and 6--so after he's asleep, he'll wake once during the night to eat (if you don't count the fact that he'll go back to sleep for about an hour after his early morning feed, which allows more sleep time for me ). You're bfing her right before the 7:45/8 pm bedtime, right? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless she seems really hungry throughout the day or if you pump and notice a measureable decrease in what you can pump. You can always try eating some oatmeal, which I've heard helps, or pumping a little extra after your 6/7 am feed to tell your body to keep making more milk (and this will give you a stash in the freezer for later!).

Mama, enjoy the sleep!

As long as baby is still nursing a total of 8-10 times over the course of 24 hours then you probably don't have anything to worry about (assuming you're home or, if working, then keeping up with the pump schedule). And, as long as you aren't dropping a feed for solids your supply should stay stable. Plus, baby sleep is so fickle and so subject to change ever 4-6 weeks there's a good chance she'll have you up more at night again. So I mean it, enjoy the extra sleep while you can!
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Enjoy your sleep!!!!
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

I just checked and it's about 7 feeds in a 24 hour period - is that too little? Starting last night after nursing her to bed: 2am, 8am, 9:20 (before morning nap), 12:15, 3:30 (she was napping or else I wouldn't have waited three hours), 6pm, then 7:40 when I put her to bed tonight. Should I squeeze some more feedings in then? (I am a SAHM for her first year - I don't pump so I can't measure it that way).

Sounds about right. My LO consistently has 7 feeds per 24 hours: 2/3 am, 6/7 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 4 pm, 6:30 pm, and 9 pm, give or take 30 min to an hour. Recently we've added solids: fruit/cereal in the am around 10, and cereal/veggies in the pm around 7. He still nurses/takes a bottle of bm 7 times, though less in quantity for some of the afternoon or evening feeds.

Unless your pediatrician is concerned about weight gain (you probably just had or will soon have your 6 month check up), I think your routine is fine, as long as baby is happy. As long as you are exclusively bfing and baby is taking what she needs, then your supply should be fine.

Enjoy the sleep! It probably won't last, as mentioned above, especially once she starts teething. I found that my LO started sleeping for stretches of 5-6 hrs, then 3 weeks later he started some major teething and was waking every 2-3 hrs, sometimes every hour!

On another note, it might be prudent to invest in a pump (I found the electric pump to be much, much more efficient than the manual, but more expensive) and just pump even a few ounces after the early morning feed. This has been helpful to me because I am able to use fresh breastmilk to mix with baby's solids (purees and cereals) instead of formula, water, or juice, none of which I think is a good alternative. Also, having a pump is great on days when he's not that interested in eating and I need empty one breast or the other. A good way to protect the supply!

with PP
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage