Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 mo old baby scratches a lot while nursing...!

Angry 8 mo old baby scratches a lot while nursing...!

Hi ladies...

I was wondering if anyone knew what to do about this?
    My LO loves to claw at my shoulders and arms while I am cradling her and nursing her to sleep. She only seems to do this during the day, and if I pull her hand away she won't calm down and fall asleep. It makes her very fussy to thwart her little hands...!

It is crazy how strong she is. I have little scabs on my arms and a few on my chest from her being a very enthusiastic nursling.

Any advice for us??

Thanks!!

Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Default Re: 8 mo old baby scratches a lot while nursing...!

Some moms find wearing a nursing necklace can help with the fiddling. It doesn't have to be specifically made for nursing, though there are plenty of those available out there, just something long enough to dangle within reach with beads or some kind of pendant to play with. Something to redirect those little hands to other than clawing at mama.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks I will try that!!
    I was also just going to wear a light sweater so that she couldn't get to the skin.. but sometimes she just likes to caress my arms so I don't want that to end...
    Amber

loving fiancée to SAHD

I never used a necklace, I could usually distract my LOs with my fingers and get them playing with my hands. But I know some moms swear by them.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My little guy has busy hands too. I just keep his fingernails trimmed really short.

My fiance trims her nails but she still finds a way to scratch...! Maybe not short enough? I'm just scared to accidentally cut her.
    Amber

loving fiancée to SAHD

Try a nail file and file them down a bit. They make files in baby sizes. I always felt better about that, no way to draw blood. Of course I could never actually find the file when I needed one
    --Anonymous

I use a cuticle clipper to cut my LO's nails - I feel like I have a lot more control over it than with nail clippers. I keep hers pretty short cause she likes to scratch too, and I haven't nicked her yet! I also only do it while she's sleeping.

I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion to keep LO's nails short. When my LO has even minimally longer nails, I canNOT stand the scratching. When they are nice and short, I don't even notice.