Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going away for 2 nights, when/how to pump?

Default Going away for 2 nights, when/how to pump?

My DD will be almost 16 months when I have to go away for three days, two nights for a business trip

She currently nurses 2-3 times during the day on my workdays (9am - sometimes, 6pm, and 8pm) and 3 times overnight (12pm, 4am, 6am). I no longer pump during the day, but this is obviously different.

What are your thoughts on how many times and when I should be pumping while away? Could I get away with pumping right before going to bed (around 10pm), and only getting up once to pump at night (around 3am)? I'll have to get up fairly early, so I could be back to the pump as early as 6:30am.

Or, OH THE DREAM, could I possibly get away with NOT pumping overnight?

TIA!

Default Re: Going away for 2 nights, when/how to pump?

You probably could get away with not waking at night to pump, but you might be uncomfortable in the morning. I don't think it will have much effect on your supply though. You could always try and if you wake up at 4 am leaking and engorged, just pump then.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I tried to "get away" with not pumping at night on a business trip at that age and really regretted it. I was very engorged and while I didn't get mastitis (I've had that several times, so I know the difference), I was feeling kind of ill and I think that's why. I really encourage you to pump at least once during the night if you are used to nursing overnight.

So if you are going away, or have gone away, for a few days around 15-16 months old... how did your spouse and toddler handle it? I'm trying to decide if I want to go on a business trip in a few months and DS will be 16 months then. He still sleeps in bed with us and nurses several times a night... how will he handle it if I'm not there? I'm worried he won't sleep, and then my husband won't sleep, and I don't like thinking of my baby missing me for so long (but really it's just a couple days). So I'm leaning towards skipping the trip; it's not a business necessity but would be good for my professional development. What have your experiences been?

Well, it wasn't easy, but they got through it. My MIL came to help him out. For me, it was a job interview, so not something I could really skip. On other occasions, I brought DS with me.

Thank you, everybody. I guess I'll try sticking to a 2 times a day (morning, evening), one time overnight (3am) pumping schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hw View Post
    So if you are going away, or have gone away, for a few days around 15-16 months old... how did your spouse and toddler handle it?
    I work full-time, so my daughter loves our sitter, so that takes care of the daytime hours. I had gone out a few time before (and wasn't back till 2am one of these times) and she was totally fine with my husband, so that takes care of the evening hours.

The rest of the night might be rough, but he is prepared to give her expressed milk in a bottle (from my frozen stash) if needed, so they'll probably be OK. DD can now easily fall asleep without the boob, she just doesn't do it when I'm around.

Happy to report that DH and DD got along just fine, he used the milk from the freezer stash and it all went as well as could have been expected even given that she came down with a bad cold 2 days before I was due to leave...