Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't feed!

Default Baby won't feed!

My 2 1/2 baby girl sometimes just doesn't want to feed. I don't want her to go too longo without feeding. Sometimes she's so hungry she won't stop crying but still won't feed. What can do? Sometimes "forcing" helps but not always. I'm so worried.

Default Re: Baby won't feed!

Is your baby 2 1/2 weeks or months?

Maybe try offering more often. Sometimes if an infant is super hungry and frantic, latching on can be difficult. How often is she nursing just now?

2 1/2 months. She was nursing every 3h but now she sometimes skips a feed (in addition to skipping a feed at night).

So she's nursing like 6 x/day? That seems kind of on the low side to me. How's her diaper output?

Are you feeding on a schedule every 3 hours, or are you nursing on demand?

Diaper output is normal. Weight is normal. I feed on demand, which is normally every 3h, sometimes 2h. But on average she only nurses 6 times a day.

Well, if those things are good, then it sounds like she's getting enough. Might be worth offering more often though, see if you can keep the fussiness from happening. Maybe she has an ear infection? That can cause fussing at the breast. The only other things that come to mind are to try different positions, like lying down.

That's all I got! Hopefully some of the more experienced mamas will have some other ideas...

Good advice from the PP. If the feeding pattern you're seeing is new, it wouldn't hurt to stop in and see the pediatrician. Make sure her ears are clear, check her weight. She's very young to be down to just 6 feedings per day- but it is worth noting that there are some babies out there who can get their needs met in a fewer-than-average number of feedings per day.

Any chance that you have oversupply or overactive letdown?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i think at around that age, LO was also very fussy at the breast.
    try laying down to nurse, don't force the breast, offer nonchalantly, and try to offer often (i did once per hour)

good luck
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage