Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cleaning parts

Default cleaning parts

Do I need to disassemble and clean each part of my pumping apparatus between pumping sessions? If not, how often do I need to do it?

Default Re: cleaning parts

Not as far as I know. If you can put the parts in a cooler or refrigerator between pumping, that would be fine.

That's what I did to save myself some time and I just disassembled and cleaned when I got home.

i used to just unscrew the piece from the bottle i pumped into, rinse water through the whole piece and let it sit out to dry a little til the next session.

there were times i could not rinse and that is ok too. i would either put them whole in a fridge like pp or just a simple rinse is fine.

Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Also, Medela makes a set of wipes that you can use to wipe down your parts if you don't have access to washing or refrigeration. At the time I was pumping only one store in my area carried them and they sold out quickly, so I didn't always have them with me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    i used to just unscrew the piece from the bottle i pumped into, rinse water through the whole piece and let it sit out to dry a little til the next session.

there were times i could not rinse and that is ok too. i would either put them whole in a fridge like pp or just a simple rinse is fine.
    Even this is more work than you have to do. Milk is good at room temperature for up to 8 hours. And in the fridge for 7 days. So unless your pumping sessions are more than 8hours apart you don't have to do anything. Except take it home at night and wash it. And if you put the whole kit and caboodle in the fridge you only have to take it home and wash it every couple of days. In terms dating or freezing though the date on the bag is for the oldest milk. So lets say you take it home and wash it on Wed and home with you on Fri for the weekend. And that you always Freeze what you pump on Fri. And take out you oldest frozen milk on Monday so that things stay rotated. When dating Fridays milk bag it needs to have THURS Date on it. Because all the milk you pumped on Fri has Thurs Milk mixed into it. Does that make sense?

Way too lazy for formula