Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can i get 11 wk old baby back on breast after 3/4wk formula

Default can i get 11 wk old baby back on breast after 3/4wk formula

Basically after exclusively breast feeding my baby girl for about 6 weeks we both ended up with thrush....i started to use a bit of formula because of reinfection...and then to top it all at a hb group the leader said my baby was tongue tied and thats why she was fussing of a night time as she was too tired to get milk from my breast ....due to this i started giving my baby girl lots of formula as i thought i was starving her because of her tongue tie.....well a week later i made an appointment with my midwife and it turns out she does not have a tongue tie at all....i am so sad as now my baby is hardly breast feeding at all...can i get her back to breastfeeding exclusively?? she has now been having bottles for about 3 or 4 weeks im pumping too but only managing 1 to 2 oz a time im having fenugreek to help but im not really sure what im suppossed to do how do i get her off the bottle?Most of the time she will latch on no problem but after 4/5 minutes she gets really frustrated and screams so i run for a bottle again im so desperate for help but dont know what to do or how to break the cycle. Please if anyone can give me any help or advise i would be so so grateful thank you!!

Default Re: can i get 11 wk old baby back on breast after 3/4wk form

I think it is possible to get the baby back to the breast, but it's gonna take a lot of work. Here's a good link for weaning from formula http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/ and another one for getting baby back to the breast http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

You might think about renting a hospital-grade pump to help get your supply back up while you're weaning from the formula. The 'instant reward' technique, where you hand express until you get a letdown and then latch baby on, is supposed to be really helpful.

Sorry you got some crummy advice. Evening times are notorious for fussing babies, whether or not they're tongue-tied!

Something to keep in mind while you're going through this process is to monitor diaper output (at least 5 wet/day, poops can be more variable at this point), as well as weight gain. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes