Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food Intolerance v. Reflux

Default Food Intolerance v. Reflux

Hi all,

I have a question. My LO is 7 weeks old yesterday! We have had our ups and downs while breast feeding, but I am happy to report that (for the most part) it is going well.

Over the past few weeks, however he has been throwing up and very spitty and phlegm-y. He also developed green poop. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort during the spitting and throwing up. At first I thought f/hmilk imbalance, so I started doing block feeding, but that didn't clear up his green poo.

So for 1 week I have eliminated all Major dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) from my diet. (And I know that it can take 2 weeks for it to be fully out of your system) But he has still been pukey with green poop.

My question is how do I tell the difference between it being a food intolerance or reflux (My hubby had severe reflux as a baby). And I can tell he has some reflux, because I can hear him gulp back down, when we are just playing, then he'll start crying as if it hurt. But that doesn't happen too often.

I go back to the doctor in a week (and it will have been 2 full weeks without dairy).

I appreciate any thoughts on the subject

On a different note. How do I get my DS to stop fighting naps, he just gets so tired, that if we pass a certain point, he can't wind down enough to nap, and he just screams. But we have no issues getting him to sleep at night.

Thanks again!!

Default Re: Food Intolerance v. Reflux

I think if you want to get a clear idea of whether dairy is effecting him you need to completely eliminate all dairy from your diet, not just the major things. If your child is sensitive to dairy, even small amounts can cause symptoms. It can take up to 6 weeks for it to clear from both your systems, but you should see some improvement in 2 weeks if that's what's causing the problem.

I don't know much about reflux, so I can't really help much there. But do you see any other signs of an allergy? Rash, congestion, gunky eyes, red ring around the anus, etc..
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Food Intolerance v. Reflux

I also battled this very same question since our baby was 2 weeks. He was tossing up huge quantities of milk and also had some weird coughing/congestion. I removed all dairy (casein) and most soy from my diet, along with the wheat that I already don't eat. After removing the dairy, there was a noticeable decrease in the amount of throwing up, so I kept the dairy-free diet. It is limiting because milk protein is in so many foods (even lactose free foods), but it made a difference. However, the coughing and congestion was still lingering. I kept a food diary for another few weeks and tried removing certain allergens for a few days to see if there was any improvement (fish, nuts, corn), but no matter what else I did or didn't eat, there was still the pattern of night time coughing and congestion. We concluded that we are also dealing with reflux and are trying to find ways to keep the baby in positions that minimize reflux symptoms since we are presently trying to avoid using an antacid.