Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping question

Question Pumping question

Hi my baby is one month old and I have been exclusively BF and in some occasions pumping. I haven't pump too often in the last couple of weeks and right now I would like to give my really sore nipples a break, so I would like to pump more often. My baby feeds every 3 hours. My question is how often should I pump, for how long and what would be the normal amount to get after pumping. I have a Double Electric Medela Pump. I pumped yesterday for about 15-20 min and I got 3-4 oz, it's that ok?
    I fed my baby with that and he was still hungry. I know is different for each baby but how much should a one month old be eaten?

Thanks

Default Re: Pumping question

My first question would be about your sore nipples. What kind of pain are you having -does it last through the whole feeding, and have you had it the whole month? It's not supposed to hurt to nurse. Maybe if we can figure that out then you wouldn't need to pump to give your nipples a break!
    If you do pump, you need to do so as often as your baby feeds. So if she normally feeds every 3 hours, you need to either pump or nurse at that time in order to maintain your supply. I'm not a pumping expert, but your output sounds really good to me. You do need to be careful at this point, because your supply is still being established.
    This is a good place to read about how much your baby should be taking in http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Hi and welcome! congrats on your new baby. Yes I agree with carm3. It is really tempting to turn to the pump when nursing hurts, and that is ok when needed. But it is really, really, REALLY important that you also figure out WHY your nipples are sore and try to fix that problem.

That pump output is not just ok, it is a bit more than would be typical. A typical nursing session a baby would get 2-3 ounces at this age. (and pumping yeild is often less, typically, if mom is also nursing, just fyi.)

But nursing would probably last a bit longer than bottle feeding typically takes, and babies nurse for comfort as well as food (this is normal and needed.) Why do you say your baby was still hungry after eating that much from the bottle? What was he doing? If he wanted to nurse, that is normal. Babies have needs that are met by nursing at the breast they cannot get from the bottle.

Are you nursing baby every three hours because that is how often baby cues? Or because that is the scedule you want? And do you mean, every three hours exactly, all day and night? That adds up to 8 times a 24 hour day. Is that what you and baby are doing?

Thank you both for replying, I just wanted to rest for a 24h period because I had really sore nipples caused by several bad latches, my son can be a little bit tricky to handle sometimes and the tendinitis on both of my wrists doesn't make it easy either, so sometimes holding him in the right position could be challenging but things are good now. I just wanted to know if pumping every three hours was ok and if I was getting enough milk. When I said that he looked hungry it was because he was very fuzzy and keep trying to get the nipple, but now I know that newborns have the necessity to suck even if they are not hungry; besides he loves to fight against the sleep and as a FTM I could get confused thinking that he is still hungry.

He wakes up every three hours to nurse, I don't have my own schedule. At night sometimes he does four hours. His pediatrician told us that during the day he could nurse between 2 to 4 hours and at night between three and four and also that I should nurse just half an hour, not sharp but not much more than that so he becomes more effective.

Thank you again for your advice

Your pedi was right that the baby may go for a little longer stretch at night, but the advice to limit the length of time of a nursing session is not correct. Limiting the amount of time the baby is at the breast is a pretty good way to damage your supply! It's best to watch your baby, not the clock! Your LO will get more efficient all on his own as he gets bigger and older. No need to train him into it.

You are very welcome. Yes if you are temporarily pumping, pumping every three hours is probably fine. BTW I have three kids and parenting still confuses me every single day! And even with my third baby I had breastfeeding issues early on where I needed lots of help. So it is not just FTMs who need help or get confused, I assure you!

I am sorry breastfeeding is uncomfortable. There are lots of different positions and 'ways' to nurse, have you tried different ideas that might not put so much strain on your wrists? If you would like ideas for helping nursing be more comfortable for you, please let us know. I have posted a few links on positioning ideas at the end of this post, just FYI.

It can be difficult if recommendations from your pediatrician run counter to information you get elsewhere. If your doctors suggestions are working for you, great. But just FYI, breastfeeding experts tend to agree that young babies under about 6-8 weeks need to nurse at least 10 times a 24 hour day, for baby to get enough and for good milk production. This is usually 'best' done by cue feeding as long as baby cues often enough, because then, typically, baby will cue in a pattern that allows those natural longer pauses between sessions, and the more frequent nursing combined, for enough nursing overall. Moms tend to find this less tiring, generally. Nor is limiting the time a baby nurses generally thought to increase breastfeeding efficiency, that I am aware of (?) Most babies become more efficient at the breast over time as they get bigger and stronger.

Now some babies may do fine nursing slightly less often. But since you are having nursing pain, it actually might help to consider nursing more often! I know that sounds weird! But a baby can often get a more comfortable latch if the breast is softer, and also if baby is calm when latching. Both are often more likely if baby nurses more often, rather than less.

Many babies seem to ‘fight’ sleep and will ‘fuss’ to sleep. With my oldest I had to walk him all around the house while he cried that tired cry against my shoulder. Believe it or not, I now remember that time fondly, I am sure it was exhausting at the time! This is very early days, and this should improve with time. If your baby will nurse to sleep that often can help.

Here are some positioning and latch ideas that I hope you may find helpful.

Laid back breastfeeding http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf
    Latch help http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html
    Nice video for laid back nursing and early cue feeding http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html
    General positioning ideas: http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

http://www.amazon.com/My-Brest-Frien...nursing+pillow
    My pediatrician recommended this pillow versus using say a boppy because it straps on to you, maybe this could help support baby a bit better? She said a boppy works ok when they are younger but as try get bigger this one supports a lot better. Just an idea.