Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast milk and solids, how much and how often ?

Default Breast milk and solids, how much and how often ?

Hi All. My daughter is 7 1/2 months old. She's breastfed and now a champ when it comes to solids, she has not rejected any food as of yet. I have been offering her solids once in the AM and once at dinner time.
    Prior to offering solids, I always nurse. In a 24 hour period, she nurses about 9 times, including night feedings.
    My question and concern is, how often and how much do you breastfeed and offer solids in a day ? I would love to see some sample schedules. I've viewed some on the web, but one varies so much from the other.

Any and all input is welcomed. Thanks so much.

Default Re: Breast milk and solids, how much and how often ?

I think it depends on what the goal of a schedule is. There is no reason to offer food or offer nursing on any schedule, unless you need eat on a schedule due to some outside imposed schedule you must keep to. For example, my older kids eat diner at around 3 pm so they can do gym practice all evening. And usually my toddler and I eat with them, because it is easier and more sociable. This means lunch has to be early-around 11 am. Then my toddler may have a second dinner with dad at 7pm.

Personally at this age, I offered solids to baby at my own/the families mealtimes (not every time I ate, maybe once or twice a day) and nursed on cue.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post

Personally at this age, I offered solids to baby at my own/the families mealtimes (not every time I ate, maybe once or twice a day) and nursed on cue.
    Yup, me too. With my first two I was much more focused on the idea that they should be eating such-and-such number of meals a day by such-and-such age. By the third one, thanks to these forums I realized it really doesn't matter how much solids a baby is eating, the more important thing is that they get exposed to new tastes and textures and learn the motor skills to self-feed. So I did exactly the same as maddieb, offered baby whatever portion of my meal was appropriate for a baby (ie, something she could pick up and that she could not choke on), and really did not pay attention to how many times in the day she had solids or on what schedule, nor did I worry if she had little or no solids on a particular day because she was being nourished by breastmilk. Now she's three and a great eater!

Excellent advice from the PPs! At that age, I also offered solids maybe once or twice a day, when it was convenient for me.

I think the reason those solid schedules you've found online differ so greatly is that kids, parents, and goals are really different. There are kids who are uninterested in solids and others who adore them. There are parents who really push solids and others who are content to let their babies' interest in solids develop at the child's own pace. Some parents have the hola of having their kids weaned from bottle or breast ASAP, others are content to go at a slower pace.