Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 27 wks pregn and bfing 15 mo old. Not ready to wean

Default 27 wks pregn and bfing 15 mo old. Not ready to wean

Hi there,
    I am 27 wks pregnant and currently breastfeeding 15 mo old 3-4x per day. I have a hunch that she is dry nursing because I don't think she is getting much (if any) milk. I really had a goal to make it through the pregnancy and nurse her till she is 2 along with the new baby. But, the last few times I have tried to BF her before naps, she latches on for about 5 seconds and stops. I'm not ready to wean but maybe she is? Any thoughts or tips from those who have been there?

Thank you!

Default Re: 27 wks pregn and bfing 15 mo old. Not ready to wean

I think it is possible she is not getting much milk, or the taste of what she is getting is less appealing. I know my son always wanted water to drink after nursing when I was in the third trimester with his brother.

But this does not mean she is ready to permanently wean. Sometimes children who wean themselves while mom is pregnant are very eager to nurse once baby is born, partly because of the milk being there again and partly because the baby is nursing and your toddler will want what baby is getting, whether it be milk, attention, etc.

When I nursed while pregnant and tandem nursed, the very best resource was the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing." I strongly suggest reading this book.

If you are not ready to wean, there is no harm in gently encouraging your child to nurse, even if only for 5 seconds at a time!

Default Re: 27 wks pregn and bfing 15 mo old. Not ready to wean

This is great advice and exactly what I was hoping to hear. I just have 3 months left and if she can just keep semi-interested then when the milk comes back in I think she will be pleasantly surprised. Thank you!