Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Losing weight -- Should I be concerned?

Default Losing weight -- Should I be concerned?

First off...

How often do you weigh your little ones? I have a 10 month old boy. At his 6 month wellness visit, he was in the 4th percentile 14lbs9oz. Our pediatrician was very happy with his progress, and told us that unless there was an issue, he didn't need to see our boy until his 12 month check-up and vaccines.

He's always been little (5lbs 15oz at birth) and I switched pediatricians when he was a newborn because he insisted on doing every little thing differently just because my son was born small (he was full term 39w6d). I've been weighing him on our home scale (wii fit) every two weeks just to track his progress.

Stats:
    Birth: 5lbs 15oz
    Lowest: 5lbs 12oz
    2mo: 7lbs 5oz
    4mo: 12lbs 5oz
    6mo: 14lbs 9oz
    ***started crawling at 8months***
    9mo: 15lbs 4oz (home scale)
    9.5mo: 16lbs 8oz (home scale)
    10mo: 15lbs 11oz (same home scale)

He's got a little cold right now, I know that it can affect his weight a bit. This last measurement I weighed him 3 times because I didn't believe the scale was telling the truth. He is always naked for his weigh-ins.

He breastfeeds at least 7-8 times a day (4 days a week, three of those are 3oz bottles of EBM) and he loves solids and eats two meals a day plus snacks. I dunno, my gut says he's fine, but I don't know if there's something I should do differently. At what point do you call the pediatrician? I don't want to express concern just because I feel like I SHOULD be concerned...even though I'm not. However, my little boy is currently pretty far off the charts.

Not sure if it matters, but he is 27.5" and head circumference is about 17.3" (these are home measurements, so not totally accurate).
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Default Re: Losing weight -- Should I be concerned?

What jumps out to me is that 9.5month weight is 1lb, 4oz more than the 9 month weight. I think it was probably incorrect. That's quite a jump over 2 weeks....?

I remember thinking that he seemed to have gained a lot in that weigh in, but got excited and took it as a good thing!

You are probably right. I did not double check that weight, and I was having problems getting a weight that day. I was only concerned with the 1lb weight DROP instead of even thinking to notice the huge gain at the prior weigh in.

THANK YOU!!!!

Sure! As a mama who worries WAY too much about weights (sigh...), I'm happy to help relieve your worry!

Also remember that home scales aren't super accurate. I say that if your doc was happy with his growth at his 6 month checkup and didn't even want to see him for 6 more months, just try to relax and see how he looks in a couple months when you go back in.

The other thing that struck me is that my daughter was 15lbs at her 6 month checkup and I was told she was in the 30th percentile. Just 7 ounces more than your son. Those percentiles are based on such tiny amounts of weight!

Wow, I didn't realize how much just a few ounces would change the percentile. By looking at the chart, it seems like my boy is just barely below the bottom of it. I'm so worried about what OTHER PEOPLE think (like doctors especially, but lots of people tell me my son is too small).

He's doing GREAT though! His thighs are chunky, he's crawling all over and creeping around the furniture. He's still learning to stand on his own and hasn't taken his first step yet, but he's so happy and beautiful and amazing! He sleeps good at night and only wakes to eat (I wouldn't dare take away his night time feedings at this point). He eats better than kids a year older than him at daycare! I've just gotta focus on what I know -- that he's perfect. =)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
    Last edited by @llli*kevins-mom; January 25th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Love this!! I need to remind myself of these things, too. I have a 4-year-old son who was a 26-week preemie who had extreme feeding and growth issues (including a feeding tube for 3 years), so I have this emotional "need" for my baby girl to be a big, roly-poly baby with rolls all over...and she isn't. She's a petite little thing and I need to focus on all of her awesome and stop worrying about whether she's eating enough. She's beautiful and perfect!!