Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too late to increase supply?

Default Too late to increase supply?

When is my milk supply "set"? Since my baby is 12wks now, is it too late to do anything to increase my supply? I've been taking all the herbs, pumping after feedings and not a huge increase....

Default Re: Too late to increase supply?

Your milk supply is NEVER "set." You can increase supply at any time. This is why adoptive mothers can nurse and why moms can relactate after weaning and why the human species has survived.

What confuses a lot of moms is the idea that milk supply becomes "established" after a certain point. "Established" does not mean "set." It just means that the body becomes a little more used to producing milk, is less prone to wide fluctuations in milk production, and, as a consequence, moms may sometimes be able to skip a feeding or go longer between feedings without negatively impacting their supply.

So, let's discuss your pumping experience!
    - what sort of pump are you using?
    - how often are you pumping?
    - how does pumping feel?
    - what sort of output are you getting?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! That's hopeful!
    I'm using a hospital rental from my IBCLC, a medela. I usually pump after every feeding for 5-10min. Pumping doesn't feel good, but my nipples are really sore from yeast. I get anywhere from 5cc to 20cc total each time. More toward 10cc. Anything above 15cc is rare.

I've tried almost all the herbs and am ordering domperdone today. I've tried fenugreek for 2wks now with little increase. Just added blessed thistle and shatavari this week.

It's great that you're pumping after feedings, but I think you need to pump longer than 5-10 minutes. 15-20 minutes is more what you want to aim for.

When you say pumping doesn't feel good, I have to wonder about the shield size. It could just be thrush that's making you sore, but improperly fitted shields can also cause soreness. When you pump, do your nipples rub against the sides of the collection tube, or do they move freely in the tube?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

My nipples or the aerola?

If your areola/breast tissue is significantly being sucked into the tube, you may have shields that are too large. This was my problem, and once I started pumping with smaller shields, I had no more pumping pain. However, if your nipples are rubbing against the sides of the tube, you likely would need larger shields.

I'll try that. The other shields in my kit are smaller.

Getting discouraged! I tried the smaller shield...seems to be less painful, but I can't imagine pumping for 15 min! Ouch!
    Sunday I had more milk! I could feel it and LO was swallowing longer at each feeding. But since then we're back to the usual...not feeling much fullness, LO finishes suck-swallowing on both sides and still acts hungry: fussing, tugging on my nipple (ouch!), pushing on my breast.

Now I'm still taking blessed thistle, fenugreek, and shatavari. The domperdone is in the mail. I'm now nursing 9-12 times per day. Still pumping after feedings but not everytime as my nipples continue to be sore for the most part.

Is something gonna work after all this time, or ...?
    I want to still hope! Everyone else seems to have tried something and it was a slam dunk. I'm trying what feels like everything and I just eek out a couple extra ounces per day!

Thanks for letting me rant!

I am sorry you haven't been able to find the magic solution to your issues, mama! It's interesting that pumping hurts so much. It shouldn't, if the shields are the right size. Can you go to the LC and have her observe a pump session? Maybe she'll pick up on what isn't right, and what is causing you pain.

If smaller shields didn't work, try bigger ones, and maybe consider the soft-fit shields (I think Medela makes them).

I know this is frustrating, but look at it this way: your baby is nursing. A lot of moms don't have that. Even if you end up not being able to meet all her needs at the breast, you still have that connection and you are making breastfeeding work.

May I ask why you're trying to increase your supply? Besides the fussy behavior, which I seem to hear many moms say their babies are super fussy at this age. It might help to make sure you are nursing or pumping at least 12x a day. Pumping in between feedings instead of right after could help.