Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old only breast feeding 3 x's a day

Exclamation 9 month old only breast feeding 3 x's a day

My nine nothing old is eating solid foods now and is only breast feeding 3 times per day once in the morning, afternoon and then right before bed. When I'm home with her she will latch on just fine but only latches on for about 10 minutes, and I pump while I'm at work. She is still gaining weight but my milk supply is going down, anyone have any suggestions? I've tried fenugreek again but not seeing much of a difference in supply. Has anyone had this problem. To make matters worse I got a stomach bug and couldn't keep much food down so these past few days my milk supply is really really low. Help!

Default Re: 9 month old only breast feeding 3 x's a day

If it were me, I'd back off on solids for a little while and just nurse nurse nurse for a while. Let her do solids while you're at work (continue pumping of course) and when you are home with her only offer the breast. She'll get your supply to increase as she nurses more. If you can't get her to stay latched (it's possible she really is getting enough milk only nursing for 10 minutes at a time, I'd just expect her to do it more frequently) pump after nursing to stimulate yourself to make more milk.

Does she nurse at all at night? Often that's a good time to nurse babies who are losing interest in the breast because they will dream-nurse for longer stretches.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Solids should never replace breastmilk in the first year of life. Absolutely no solids unless baby has nurse immediately before. If baby doesn't nurse baby doesn't get solids.

No I don't breastfeed my baby at night since she sleeps throughout the night. The pedestrian suggested to let her sleep if she sleeps through the night, her weight is in normal range and is not concerned.

The problem is I'm not producing milk like I was a few weeks ago, I used to pump at least 12-15 oz a day now I'm only producing about 6 oz a day. She still takes the bottle and breast (even thought she only latches on for 10 minutes at a time) I just don't know what to do about the amount pumped.

Right, but the best way to increase your supply is to empty your breast as often as possible. The baby is much better at stimulating supply than the pump.Backing off on solids will not only encourage your baby to nurse more, it is better nutrition than any solids you can give her. And breastmilk should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year of life. Solids are only for fun and experience and should not replace breastmilk feedings.

But if you simply can't nurse more to increase your supply, then pump more. More frequently or for longer stretches. You won't get more milk at first, but eventually your body will get the signal to produce more milk. And that's what you're going for- more milk. Pump at home if baby isn't nursing more.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

but only latches on for about 10 minutes,
    Is baby latching and nursing? Some babies get all they want in 10 minutes.

I agree with pps about nursing frequency being the key to increasing production and that it is helpful to nurse prior to any solid meals when you are with baby.

From a weight gain standpoint, yes it is ok, if a baby is gaining well, for baby to sttn. But from a long term good health standpoint, keeping milk production adequate is extremely important. The issue in your case is, because you are away from baby during the day as well, that means your baby now has a very limited amount of time in which to nurse. Your pediatrician may not even be considering this because statistically, it is unfortunately likely that the vast majority of his/her patients are not breastfeeding at all by nine months.

Many working moms have found that encouraging at least one nighttime nursing session is helpful to maintaining adequate milk production.

Any other mom in a similar situation have any ideas for buttercupland?