Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping

Smile Pumping

I want to start pumping next week so I can have my hubby help with feedings. baby will be 1 month old I have only been breast feeding. I want to know how to pump, for how long at a time, when, how often, whats the best way to store the milk , eel so many ques. Will I feed baby what I exposed in 1 feeding

Default Re: Pumping

It's best to start slowly with pumping and bottle feeding. For example, you may want to substitute one nursing session in the day with a pumping/bottle session. So basically at the time that you would nurse (or a bit before), you pump instead, and then your husband can feed that bottle to the baby. Here's one example: in those early weeks, if baby was still awake and I was tired and ready to go to bed, I would pump, go to bed, and then DH would feed baby the bottle whenever he was hungry and put baby to bed. That way I got a slightly longer stretch of sleep by the time of baby's next awakening.
    The length of time you pump depends a bit on the type of pump you're using and how well you respond to the pump. If you're using a manual pump, it takes longer; electric pump, shorter. A typical feeding for a baby this age would be no more than 2-3 ounces. So you just pump until you get that amount and stop. But don't be surprised if at first you don't get that much; some mamas take time to get used to the pump. That's fine too, you can give baby whatever you get so baby learns how to drink from the bottle, and if he/she is still hungry you can always nurse afterwards. If DH is going to feed baby within a couple of hours, you can just leave the bottle at room temperature; if it has cooled down by the time baby is hungry, he can warm it up by putting it in a bowl with warm water or letting warm water from the tap run over it (NEVER microwave baby's milk). If you're pumping milk that won't be used until the next day, put it in the fridge; it can stay in the fridge for 7-8 days. If you have extra milk that you'd like to stash away, you can put it in your freezer; it's good there for 3-6 months. Here are the kelly mom storage guidelines: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/
    Welcome to the forum and let us know if you have more questions!

Thank u soooo much

You're welcome!

I pumped once yesterday for like 5 min n got ~2 1/2 oz would I stop then. I'm asking bc of the fore & hind milk issue

Yes, I think it's fine to stop at that point. I wouldn't worry about foremilk/hindmilk.

If right now I don't want to introduce bottle but start collecting milk what/how do u suggest I pump. Before or after a feeding? Or how so I can start collecting if I do b4 will baby have enough for his feeding? If I do after will I pump enough. A little frustrated this should be easier if it's natural. I don't want to give up

A little frustrated this should be easier if it's natural. I don't want to give up
    It sounds to me as if there is more going on here than questions about when to pump. What is frustrating? Why would you give up? Please let us know what is going on, there are lots of moms here who can help but we need to know what is going on.

Most new mothers feel very, very overwhelmed in the early weeks. Adding pumping into the mix if it is unnecesary may add undue stress. If you think pumping will help, it's pretty simple. Pump when it works best for you, not too often. Once a day at most would be my suggestion. It would be normal to get different output each time. This is normal and to be expected.

A baby this age typically takes about 2-3 ounces per feeding, assuming baby is being fed at least 10 times a day as would be normal.

Hi it1004, what is your goal for collecting milk? Are you going to be going back to work? If so, when? Or do you just want to feed baby an occasional bottle? I agree with Meg, give us more info and so we can help you better! And yes, keep in mind, just because breastfeeding is natural, doesn't mean it's always easy. That's why we're here to help each other out!