Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after 6 weeks off

Default Relactation after 6 weeks off

Hi ladies,

I have only just joined today as I am becoming rather obsessed about relactating.

A bit of background: my second daughter is 12 weeks old. I never exclusively BF for several reasons (horrendous time first time round, with non-existent supply, and a baby who had lost 13% of her birthweight by day 5, and stress and anxiety over her weight), so we mixed fed pretty much from the start.
    However, it turned out that I was producing more milk this time than with my first (I actually felt engorgement, which I never did with my first), so I tried to gradually reduce the amount of formula. However, DD then got thrush and I got it too, and she was really difficult, crying all the time, no settling, not sleeping etc. It turns out that she had quite bad reflux (for which she is on medication now). At this point, it was easier for my sanity to stop breastfeeding as I just could not do it anymore (I was either breastfeeding, bottle feeding or expressing, while also looking after my 3-year old), and I was knackered.

6 weeks later and things are much better and I want to relactate. I started on Monday this week. I had a few drops coming out when I squeezed my nipple, so I started expressing every 2-3 hours, with at least 1 session in the night. I tried putting DD to the breast but she refuses so far (it's almost as if the texture has become alien to her and she doesn't like it).

Over the past 36 hours, I have managed to express 30 ml. It is not a lot, but still better than nothing.
    I am taking Fenugreek (2 capsules 3 times a day) and I asked my GP for Domperidone this morning but she refuses saying it was not licensed for this use. So I bought Motilium over the counter and planning on taking 10mg 3 times a day.

I never really had a great supply, I am not one of those lucky mothers who produces litres of BM per day. I also have PCOS, and I think this is impacting my supply.

So, my questions are:

- does 30ml over 36 hours sound like progress and am I likely to see this increase?
    - does the dose of Motilium I am taking ok, or shall I take more?
    - what else can I do to help boost my supply if my DD won't go to the breast, and how can I convince her to eventually get back to the breast? I have ordered nipple shields, would they be a good thing to try?

At the moment, I am feeding her her bottles in the breastfeeding position against my bare chest, so that she associates being fed with the boobies.

Anything else I should think about/try?

Thanks a lot for reading and for any comment!

Default Re: Relactation after 6 weeks off

hi sammykins, it looks like your post got missed. I am sorry about that.

I cannot comment about Motilium dosage-are you under the care of an IBCLC? Dr. Jack Newman may have info on his website?

The way to boost milk production is frequent and effective milk removal. If baby will not do this yet, then you have to pump, with as good a pump as you can get. Galactagogues can help many mothers but the frequent and effective milk removal is vital.

Sorry I have to run but if you read my posts on this thread that will give you more information and links for relactation and bringing baby to the breast http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...t.-Please-help

nipple sheilds may help baby take the breast, and they are not very expensive, so imo they are worth a try. But they are not a magic fix and may not work at all for you. So, be prepared for that.

Thanks for your reply.

I started the process 12 days ago. I now have a hospital grade pump and I'm glad to say that for the past 2 days, I have managed to express 120ml a day (compared to nothing for the first few days), and my little one has had one full feed a day on breastmilk
    I will be stopping the motilium when I have run out as I cannot afford to buy it and my GP won't prescribe it. I'm hoping my supply will stay the same and carry on increasing regardless.

I have another question. For the past couple of days, I have had some bright red spotting, and I am not due on my period. Is this something that is to be expected when relactating, or should I be concerned and go see my doctor?

Thanks again!

The bright red spotting could be a last gasp of your lochia (postpartum discharge) or it could be your period trying to return- after 6 weeks of not nursing, it's very probable that your fertility will return. But it could also be a side-effect of hormonal contraception, if you happen to be taking any.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal - it's not my lochia as this completely stopped 7 weeks post-partum, and it can't be my period either as I had my first period at 10 weeks post-partum, and I am not taking any contraception. Could lochia come back? Would my womb contract while I express and re-start the lochia?

Lochia can come back, particularly when mom overexerts herself. It would be odd to have lochia at 12 weeks- it usually stops by 6.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"