Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to deal with preference for left side?

Default How to deal with preference for left side?

My daughter nurses better and longer on my left side. She pops off quickly and is finished much faster on my right. If I switch starting sides and start her on my left, she'll often refuse the right. But I can start her on the right and she'll nurse for a few minutes and then switch to the left. Because of supply and weight gain issues, I want her taking both sides (if she's willing) at each feeding. Is it okay to always start her on the right, knowing that she may nurse more vigorously for a few minutes, but then she'll settle down and nurse longer on the left? Of will I create major imbalances by not switching start sides? Thanks!

Default Re: How to deal with preference for left side?

How old is your daughter? I think it's normal in the beginning for infants to prefer one side. My son had a side preference in the beginning, but I just continued to offer him the less preferred side as often as the preferred side and eventually he started nursing both sides the same amount. It is possible she is popping off the right side because off the milk let down, it could be more forceful then the left side. I never paid too much attention to which side I was starting and finishing with and my guy gained weight just fine. In any case, keep offering her both sides.

She's almost 8 months! The side preference is pretty recent. I think the right is the slower flowing side. The left is the only one that ever sprays at letdown. She must prefer the faster flow. I unsure which one actually produces more. My main concern is whether offering the right first each time would cause issues. She always will take the left after the right, but will often not take the right after starting on the left. I definitely want her using both sides - we've had some minor slow growth and supply issues.

I am experiencing exactly the same thing (only reversed). If I start my daughter on the left, she will finish quickly and go for the right but if I start on the right, she will usually refuse the left. I know from pumping that my left breast produces about 1/4 of what my right produces and this is what I attribute this 'preference' to, although I have never thought of it as a preference, just as there being less milk on the left so it takes her less time. Therefore, I ALWAYS start her on the left, let her empty that one and then go for the right. Just because I want to give my left all the 'encouragement' I can. So could it be that you already have more milk on the left side, and that starting on the right always will only help to even it out (or at least prevent it from getting worse)?

The weird thing is that my right side often feels fuller. Maybe that's not weird, since she triggers letdown and then won't stay on long. But you'd think that, with milk at the ready, she'd be happier there...

I posted at the same time as you, sprocket. That's a good point! I just always feel milk left on the right...

So, my left is the underproducer, and it often feels more achey when I need to nurse, but less round and firm to the touch. I think my right can just hold more milk. That is my theory anyway.

I've been having difficulties with this, too. My daughter is 6 mos. and prefers the right side. She gets fussy on the left at times. I think it had something to do with how fast the flow is. I have better luck if I nurse her while standing or if I sort of hunch of over so the breast is pointing downward--maybe gravity helps the flow or something? And if that still doesn't work I'll go into a dark, quiet place to nurse her because she is easily distracted which also doesn't help. So in my case, positional changes were the easiest fix. Maybe something you could try?

I have the exact same situation as you. Lo totally refuses my right as a new born but at 2 months onwards, he starts to be willing to take the right. Even so, he always latches shorter on the right then the left until now that he is 10.5 months. I always offer the right first, no matter which side he last finishes. And no, I don't think there is any problem with doing this. My left nipple is bigger, and produces more milk. Even until now. Perhaps this explains the preference. I have accepted that my two boobs will never be identical. As long as Lo is striving with the milk I produce in total, I'm not too worried