Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Goat's Milk??

Default Goat's Milk??

Hello! Had a question for everyone. Has anyone used or researched Goats Milk instead of cow's milk or formula based with cows milk? I"ve read and heard Goat's milk is much easier to digest, just curious if anyone has ever used it. I'm currently still breastfeeding, LO is 8 months, YAY and like most, it was a rough start but I stuck it through and am SOOO thankful. HOWEVER, he is starting to wean himself since we have started solids (well puree'd foods). He's a GREAT eater but I can see him gradually chosing to eat foods and not breastfeed. He is mostly using the breast as comfort to go to sleep. Breastmilk is still the primary. Im just researching other options in case he does wean himself early. I really don't want to resort to formula.

My chiropractor said to use 75% goats milk and 25% carrot juice. The carrot juice has all the vitamins the goats milk is lacking.

Default Re: Goat's Milk??

With my older DS, we used cow milk based formula to supplement from months 9-12 when my pumping supply tanked and he did fine with it. However, when we tried to switch him to straight cows milk at a year he did seem to have difficulty digesting it -- lots of cheesy burps, some question of pain, etc. So we switched him to goat milk until he was about 2 1/2 and he did great with it. I'm not sure if goat milk is advised before a year; I think the recommendation is for either breast milk or formula. But we did find a difference with goat milk after a year.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

All due respect to your chiropractor, but when it comes to infant nutrition I would want to talk to a pediatrician. And I am pretty sure the pediatrician would tell you that goat's milk and carrot juice is not an appropriate substitute for breastmilk or formula. Yes, formula is full of weird ingredients and manufactured by evil corporations and yada yada yada, but it's also the closest thing to breastmilk on the market. The proportions of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, and vitamins/minerals in formula are much closer to breastmilk than those in animal milk. And it is generally less likely to cause intestinal irritation and anemia than animal milk, which is why guidelines in the US say that it's breastmilk and formula only until 1 year.

Just keep offering the breast as often as possible, and if you see your baby starting to phase out his nursing sessions, don't be afraid to cut back on solids. At 8 months solids are not nutritionally necessary, and are supposed to complement breastmilk in your LO's diet, not replace it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    All due respect to your chiropractor, but when it comes to infant nutrition I would want to talk to a pediatrician. And I am pretty sure the pediatrician would tell you that goat's milk and carrot juice is not an appropriate substitute for breastmilk or formula. Yes, formula is full of weird ingredients and manufactured by evil corporations and yada yada yada, but it's also the closest thing to breastmilk on the market. The proportions of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, and vitamins/minerals in formula are much closer to breastmilk than those in animal milk. And it is generally less likely to cause intestinal irritation and anemia than animal milk, which is why guidelines in the US say that it's breastmilk and formula only until 1 year.

Just keep offering the breast as often as possible, and if you see your baby starting to phase out his nursing sessions, don't be afraid to cut back on solids. At 8 months solids are not nutritionally necessary, and are supposed to complement breastmilk in your LO's diet, not replace it.
    I agree with all of this. I think if you back off on solids and nurse more often it will solve your problem and you won't need to supplement with anything. However, if you do find yourself needing to supplement, it's breastmilk or formula until a year old.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous