Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast feeding and Rx medication

Default Breast feeding and Rx medication

Hello, FTM and I am wondering if anyone else who or knows someone who suffers from severe chronic migraines. I have had chronic migraines for the past 7 years and was on Rx medication for it. During my pregnancy I did not take the medication but due to hormone levels I had no migraines. I am now 4 weeks pp and have had several migraines in the past week. My question is has anyone taken the Rx topamax (a med used for migraines and seizures) while breast feeding? How much would transfer into my milk? I got migraines everyday in the past and the Rx is a daily pill. I haven't seen my doctor yet I'm not sure what she will say, was just curious if anyone had experience with this. I really want to keep breast feeding but my migraines get so intense some days I can't do anything and they effect my health. I just want the best choice for my little girl. Any suggestions or information on this would greatly be appreciated.

Default Re: Breast feeding and Rx medication

Hi jellis, you might want to call InfantRisk: http://www.infantrisk.com. They have a number you can call to ask about safety of specific medications while breastfeeding: "We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519." Hope you feel better.

Default Re: Breast feeding and Rx medication

Thank you ill give infantrisk a call