Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing a sippy with juice

Default Introducing a sippy with juice

I would like to start weaning my little one at age 1. I thought it would be a good idea to start now at 9months with teaching him to take a sippy cup with a little juice. This way when he is 1 I could put cow's milk in it and take him off the breast. I've never really been able to pump and give him a bottle because he wakes up in the night so often to nurse. Anyway I wanted opinions on this because his pediatrician said not to give him juice at all! until age 1. I didn't really see any harm in just a little. For almost a week I had been offering him just a few ounces after meals with only 4 oz in the entire day. He drinks from it like a champ! and loves having that cold drink to wash down his food. Before we started experimenting with this, I would always offer the breast after he ate but he was never really interested. It was like he was saying I'm full mom. I always nurse him before each meal. His doctor said he is below where he should be weight wise according to his height and that 4 oz of empty calories could be replaced with breast milk. Idk I have always felt that he is not very knowledgable on breast feeding. Seems like I remember too with my first child that his doctor said a little juice was fine before age 1 but this doctor said NO. He showed a lot of concern for the height/weight chart. My other child was always below weight for his height. Both very tall and active but never give me problems with eating. So the question is, Is juice a bad idea for a 9 month bf baby?

Default Re: Introducing a sippy with juice

Yes it's a terrible idea. Juice is not recommended for babies this young. Of course he drinks it like a champ. It's ALL sugar. Without any fiber to digest with the sugar. I can cause cavities and a baby that young should not have all that sugar without the fiber that the fruit provides. I breastfed my kid for four years. I never gave him any juice AT ALL before his 2nd b-day. A doctor not being knowledgeable a bout breastfeeding isn't connected to him being firm with you about the fact that it's not healthy to feed a 9 month old juice! It's not healthy, you don't want your child to get used to drinking anything but breastmilk and water and any fructose that a child gets (Which should be the ONLY sugar they get at this age) should come with the fiber and nutrients of whole fruit.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Yes it's a terrible idea. Juice is not recommended for babies this young. Of course he drinks it like a champ. It's ALL sugar. Without any fiber to digest with the sugar. I can cause cavities and a baby that young should not have all that sugar without the fiber that the fruit provides. I breastfed my kid for four years. I never gave him any juice AT ALL before his 2nd b-day. A doctor not being knowledgeable a bout breastfeeding isn't connected to him being firm with you about the fact that it's not healthy to feed a 9 month old juice! It's not healthy, you don't want your child to get used to drinking anything but breastmilk and water and any fructose that a child gets (Which should be the ONLY sugar they get at this age) should come with the fiber and nutrients of whole fruit.
    In terms of sugar, in terms of "empty" calories, juice is just as bad as soda. If you wouldn't fill your baby's sippy with pop, don't fill it with juice, either.

If you want to put something in your LO's sippy at this point, choose breastmilk or water.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Giving juice in a sippy cup will be a step toward weaning at age one or sooner. I agree with your doctor that juice takes the place of nutrition that your child might otherwise get from breastmilk (or formula).