Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Pumping Help please!!

Default Need Pumping Help please!!

I need some tips on how to get back to pumping successfully. I couldnt let down for the pump at work last weekend nor at home. I know it was anxiety related to some extent, but im still having a hard time pumping successfully at home. I used to pump every night before bed for 10-15 mins. Then I started power pumping to boost supply to compensate for my period when my supply dips. but then I got thrush so I had to lay off the pump for almost a week, except when working. ive been pumping every night at home since sat. night and was only successfull twice and it took me 20 mins to get a let down, on and off the pump for 10 mins each time. I dont have that kind of time at work and am so worried about not being able pump successfully at work this weekend. i've never had issues like this pumping before. I nursed my son for a year and pumped when i went back to work with him. been back to work now since 11/9 and my baby is 5.5 months old and strictly on Breastmilk still. Last night I pumped and gave up after 45 mins, on and off the pump 10 mins each time. I couldnt get a let down. I can't turn the suction up too high b/c I am just trying to get over thrush and don't want to cause more damage to my nipples. I have a new Medela PISA that I just bought a month ago. Do I just need to keep practicing again? Did my boobs forget how to respond to the pump? Im so afraid im going to lose my supply if I cant get my boobs used to pumping again. I am with my baby monday thru thursday 24/7 but have to pump on the weekends....friday night at work and sat night at work. [i work 2 overnight shifts and my DD STTN all night] Please help!!!

Default Re: Need Pumping Help please!!

Are the membranes on properly? Any chance they need to be replaced because they're sitting wonky? They're not expensive and are usually the culprit when I'm not letting down.

I don't let down promptly for the pump, but I do eventually let down. It's just not cute and cuddly, y'know? You could try looking at a picture of your baby or smelling a onesie. Or you could try hand expressing--either as a sole means of milk expression or just to get letdown.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krasota View Post
    Are the membranes on properly? Any chance they need to be replaced because they're sitting wonky? They're not expensive and are usually the culprit when I'm not letting down.

I don't let down promptly for the pump, but I do eventually let down. It's just not cute and cuddly, y'know? You could try looking at a picture of your baby or smelling a onesie. Or you could try hand expressing--either as a sole means of milk expression or just to get letdown.
    Yes I am pretty sure everything is working correctly. I have like 6 sets of pump parts so its not that.

ive tried looking at pics and videos of baby. its hard to massage and use heat when at work and im pressed for time.

i think its like performance anxiety with the pump....honestly....since i never had issues in the past. and i think i feel "pressured" at work and my time is so limited [im a nurse] that I dont feel i could just sit there and chill out until it works, know what I mean. It was much easier and I felt much more confident in pumping when I could get the job done in 10 mins tops. It has never been this challening for me. i dont know what else to do if i cant express at work to maintain my supply. i desperately want to breastfeed her for a year [or longer] . i would be heartbroken if i had to start giving formula.

i work every friday and saturday night [and my longest time not pumping or nursing baby is saturday during the day from 8am-230pm, when I have to sleep cause I work again saturday night.]. I nurse her once on saturday around 4-5pm and I could go to my moms and nurse her saturday morning on my way home from work [so that would be twice]. Its not that I *need* that milk I pump at work right now. its just that I pump at work to compensate [my supply] for when i have to sleep during the day on saturday [and sunday for about 4 hrs]. on friday i nurse her about 4-5 times before heading to work at 630pm. on sunday morning i come home and nurse her and then go to bed for 4-5 hrs. i have a decent freezer stash for back up milk. I dont use much of the milk i pump while at work anyway, but end up freezing it. I just dont want my supply to be hurt even more than it already is given my period has been coming back and that has been making things more challening as well.

So, should I just pump at work this weekend and if I dont get a let down, just let it go after 20 mins. and try again later? eventually, my body should start to respond again right, if I keep stimulating it? Just not sure what to do? thanks

jhowell, I think you are in a vicious circle - stressed about pumping, which inhibits letdown, which makes you even more stressed about pumping.... So yes, I think your plan is a good one. Just say to yourself that you are going to pump for 20 minutes to give your breasts the stimulus and that's it. If you get zero milk, fine. If you get 4 oz, fine. You're not desperate for every drop of milk thanks to your stash so just think of it as giving yourself the stimulation you need. And hopefully that will help you feel less stressed about it and help that milk let down!